cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Network Locked

Verden_Leafglow
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

So my wife's phone fell into the toilet...

We managed to get a used phone (a Samsung) off Facebook Marketplace for pretty cheap, but it's network-locked.  We phoned the previous provider that the previous owner had been a part of, but they aren't able to help unlock the phone because there's no record of it there.  The manufacturer (Samsung) won't unlock it because they don't trust us and they think it's stolen; and a receipt from the previous owner is useless because they want a receipt from the original purchase, which they don't have.  Either way, I resent the suggestion because if I was going to steal something I would have stolen a much better phone than this one...

Anyways, I did see a suggestion somewhere that we could contact with our own carrier (Public Mobile) to make a deal with the manufacturer or something.  I'm not sure how this works, but we're running out of ideas.  The previous carrier doesn't know how to unlock it, the manufacturer refuses to, and we're out $125 because the phone is useless and won't accept our SIM card.  What do we do?

7 REPLIES 7

@Verden_Leafglow 

Well that's good news. Test the old sim card in another unlocked phone or one with telus, koodo or pm. If it works great....if it doesn't then Bell is probably correct and it got damaged in the toilet dunking.

BTW....I've had that happen twice. Once on a bc ferry when it fell out of my back pocket. I had to not think about it fast and just grabbed it...dried it off and stuck it in a bag of rice for a few days once I got home. Flip phones....they're tough little birds! Worked fine after that.

The other time my late partner got up and turned around to flush and just as he did he bent over enough for the phone to slip out of his jacket's top pocket into the toilet and it was gone. I'm sure its still stuck in that pipe somewhere in my house.

Verden_Leafglow
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As far as I know, it's Bell.

We have gotten in contact with the previous owner and he's willing to help us - we spoke with Bell and Bell's opinion is that our SIM card was also fried when it fell into the toilet, and that might be causing the unlock issue.  We will try a new SIM card to see what happens and whether that resolves the issue - but the old owner will be willing to help us, so that's good.  🙂

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Verden_Leafglow  do you know if the phone is locked to a US carrier or Canadian?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Verden_Leafglow 

https://canadaunlocking.com/unlock-samsung

not too sure on how much it costs though.. probably $20-30

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Verden_Leafglow : Also, check devicecheck.ca to see if it's listed. These are the perils of buying used. Alas.

@Verden_Leafglow 

This is a case if buyer beware. If the former owner is unwilling or unable to get the phone unlocked for you there is probably a reason for it....I would see if they will return your money to you and take the phone back. Otherwise you can get unlock codes off of ebay but again they are buyer beware.

You paid an awful lot for a locked phone meaning it is a model pre-December 2017.There are better deals for brand new phones under $200.

Anonymous
Not applicable

suggestion for you only by previous owner the can contact The manufacturer (Samsung) to help you to do unlock the phone for you,

or you can found at free market to unlock for you if the can i'm not sure maybe the can do it,

our own carrier (Public Mobile) to make a deal with the manufacturer the can't do that because you don't have receipt from purchase. and is it not allowed (Public Mobile) to do that, 

so sorry to hear that happened to you,

and suggestion for you go buy it a brand new phone from store legal or online Amazon or any store is better to you .

don't waste your time for that phone buy a new one,

Good Luck

Need Help? Let's chat.