cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pending new customer

Sabocat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm waiting for delivery of new phone--early in new year. Current phone is old (iPhone 6).

The new phone will use an eSim, the old one can't.

I want to take advantage of the Boxing Week Sale (50gigs / $35). I don't want to be without service while waiting for the new phone to arrive.

What to do in this situation? I'm guessing there's a simple solution, I just don't want to get caught up in troubleshooting hell with Public's (terrible) A.I. chatbot.

Many thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Sabocat

only 1 solution is allowed, but your answer here--of using the account#--is also helpful, thanks!

@Sabocat yes, it is better to enter account number, IMEI is not a reliable way for account lookup during porting

The step for entering porting info is during AFTER payment when you use the PM app. So, assuming you pay now and complete the activation later when you get the new phone, you will submit porting info when you have the new phone on hand 

Sabocat

oh sweet, I didn't think of that... thanks @Phil_Adelphus 

@Sabocat  Best to just use the previous provider account number rather than the IMEI because for some reason the latter seems to cause complications for some people.  This assumes you are porting in from another provider of course, or are you planning to get a new phone number with PM?

Sabocat

@softechthank you! This is what I thought I could do (pay today / complete activation in new year). However, do you know what I would enter at the stage where you are asked for the IMEI? I believe I need this to get to the next step. Would I enter the IMEI for my current old phone?

@Sabocat you sure your new phone cannot take physical sim card?? Most iPhones take both eSIM and physical, only US models are eSIM only.  If you are ok to active physical sim, get one and fully activate first

But if you want to stay with eSIM, and if you want to activate first to take advantage of the deal, you can activate using web browser first . The activation will get to payment step. After fully paid, it will ask you to download the app to complete the activation. You can however choose to stop at that step and wait till you have your new phone and then download PM app on the new phone and complete the activation at that time 

Sabocat

Thank you @Cheetah24 ... is the reason that I have to wait because I don't have the IMEI for the new phone? and thank you for the link!

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Sabocat  Well, you will need the phone to activate the plan, but one thing to keep in mind is that if you have any porting issues you can reach out to the service agent at, https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

I understand the chatbot has issues but the above link directly messages with the service agent and they'll help within 24 hours normally.

Need Help? Let's chat.