cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password reset function doesn't work

Evilbred
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My password doesn't seem to work, the password reset function just spits SQL fields at me "ForgotPassword/OldPasswordNotValidContactAdmin"

I submit a ticket and no one responds for hours. 

The self service system doesn't work when the self service system is 1998 website technology and the customer service is a forum setup from 2003. 

I am really regretting going with Public Mobile. 

31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Evilbred : I just tried the topic title and I got the reset email within about a minute or so. There have been sporadic reports of the password reset just not working for some people. I think it has been theorized that maybe email addresses are somehow too long or something. Or not matching case but I tried that too and got the email.

It's also recommended to do account functions on a clean browser or incognito mode.

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Never gave me a problem, @Evilbred .    Nor has it been for a few other users I'm aware of, some whom have been users for years.

The Self-serve site is dreadfully   S  L  O  W   to load, but other than that, quite reliable.

Sure, there's the odd occasion (like once a month at most) when it's inaccessible due to maintenance or overload, but that's always resolved in under an hour.  

Again, works for most, not for a few.   

Evilbred

@Spudster wrote:

@Evilbred wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Evilbred wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Evilbred : There's no bill to finalize. It would be suggested to toggle off autopay from accounts though. You can do that dialing 611 and using your 4 digit PIN. Also realize that there won't be any pro-rated credits back as there are no refunds here.

611 won't work because I'm with another provider now, thankfully.

I just need to go into my account to delete any account info on there. If the frontend self service system is this broken, I can only imagine how bad the security is. Not interested in getting notifications that my pers info has been compromised by my old mobile provider. 

@Evilbred 

If you already ported out, you can't access PM's self-serve nor can you access *611.

It's completely shut down.

This is why you've been unable to access anything all along (since porting out).   Don't worry, it's not uncommon for customers to try to do this after porting out.  

Good luck with your new provider.

I ported out about 30 minutes ago. The issues I had with Public Mobile's self-service system earlier this morning are from a broken self-service system by a self-service only provider.

The completely self-directed, self-service model is not for everyone, @Evilbred 

Many folks have been using it for quite some time, with minimal issues.  

The model is only as effective as one's desire and willingness to work within it's means and bounds.  Some are, some aren't.   And that's OK both ways.

I liken to owning a K-car vs a Cadillac.

I have no issue with a self-service model. But if the self-service portal is broken, which it is, and you can't get access to the self service account, then it's not something that's "not for everyone" it's just bad, really bad. 

I was fully willing to work within it, but the system was broken. 

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Evilbred wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Evilbred wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Evilbred : There's no bill to finalize. It would be suggested to toggle off autopay from accounts though. You can do that dialing 611 and using your 4 digit PIN. Also realize that there won't be any pro-rated credits back as there are no refunds here.

I just need to go into my account to delete any account info on there. If the frontend self service system is this broken, I can only imagine how bad the security is. Not interested in getting notifications that my pers info has been compromised by my old mobile provider. 

@Evilbred 

If you already ported out, you can't access PM's self-serve nor can you access *611.

This is why you've been unable to access anything all along (since porting out).   Don't worry, it's not uncommon for customers to try to do this after porting out.  

I ported out about 30 minutes ago. The issues I had with Public Mobile's self-service system earlier this morning are from a broken self-service system by a self-service only provider.

The completely self-directed, self-service model is not for everyone, @Evilbred 

Many folks have been using it for quite some time, with minimal issues.  

The model is only as effective as one's desire and willingness to work within it's means and bounds.  Some are, some aren't.   And that's OK both ways.

I liken to owning a K-car vs a Cadillac.

Evilbred

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Evilbred 

What do you mean by finalize the last bill?

Public Mobile is pre-paid service, not post-paid.   

Porting to another supplier automatically finalizes service with Public Mobile.   It's always a good idea to remove the payment card from your self-serve before porting out.

Here's an article on porting out from Public Mobile:

Transferring Your Public Mobile Number To Another Service Provider

To help protect our customers from fraud, Public Mobile will send you an SMS text message should we receive a request to transfer your mobile phone number to another carrier. This step is designed to protect your account by confirming if the request is genuine or fraudulent.The SMS text will read as follows: Public Mobile message: We’ve received a request to transfer this phone number to another service provider. To approve this request, please reply “Yes”. If you did not request this transfer, please reply “No”. Please note that you must respond within 90 minutes. If we don’t receive a response within this time, the request will be automatically cancelled. For any issues with this number transfer, contact our Porting Team. Thank you.

If you have made a request to port your number to another carrier and have not received an SMS from Public Mobile to confirm your request, please open our chatbot via this link. This will put you in touch with our moderator team who will be able to assist you.

Public Mobile didn't send me any SMS message.

When I submitted with the new provider within about 5 minutes my service dropped and when I popped in the new provider's sim card it worked with my transferred number.

FYSA if you think there's a functional SMS security feature when someone trys to port jack your Public Mobile number. 

Evilbred

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Evilbred wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Evilbred 

@Evilbred wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Evilbred 

@Evilbred 

What do you mean by finalize the last bill?

Public Mobile is pre-paid service, not post-paid.   

Porting to another supplier automatically finalizes service with Public Mobile.   It's always a good idea to remove the payment card from your self-serve before porting out.

Here's an article on porting out from Public Mobile:

Transferring Your Public Mobile Number To Another Service Provider

To help protect our customers from fraud, Public Mobile will send you an SMS text message should we receive a request to transfer your mobile phone number to another carrier. This step is designed to protect your account by confirming if the request is genuine or fraudulent.The SMS text will read as follows: Public Mobile message: We’ve received a request to transfer this phone number to another service provider. To approve this request, please reply “Yes”. If you did not request this transfer, please reply “No”. Please note that you must respond within 90 minutes. If we don’t receive a response within this time, the request will be automatically cancelled. For any issues with this number transfer, contact our Porting Team. Thank you.

If you have made a request to port your number to another carrier and have not received an SMS from Public Mobile to confirm your request, please open our chatbot via this link. This will put you in touch with our moderator team who will be able to assist you.

Evilbred

@Anonymous wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Evilbred : There's no bill to finalize. It would be suggested to toggle off autopay from accounts though. You can do that dialing 611 and using your 4 digit PIN. Accounts are closed upon transferring out. Which might be why you can't log in. Also realize that there won't be any pro-rated credits back as there are no refunds here.

Evilbred

I found the account number wrote down on the original paperwork I had when I received the sim card.

The number port is complete thankfully. 

Hopefully the moderators get back to me to reset my password so I can finalize the last bill.

Now to transafer my other family phones.

Needless to say I wouldn't recommend Public Mobile anyone but my worst enemy from this point. 

The prices are mediocre and the broken self service system is brutal.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkman wrote:

The activation email only has my email address in the To part. I've searched for my account number. 

@Evilbred 

Sorry, PM might have change things.  My welcome email has the account number starting with 10000.....   in the email address to: header.  

@Evilbred : it would be embedded with it. You would need to view all the internal headers like view source for web pages.

The activation email only has my email address in the To part. I've searched for my account number. 

@Evilbred 

Sorry, PM might have change things.  My welcome email has the account number starting with 10000.....   in the email address to: header.  

Moderators are the only remaining option, then.  Sadly, it's a waiting game after submitting ticket.  Best of luck.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Evilbred

@HALIMACS wrote:

Hi @Evilbred 

This may go without saying, but just trying to troubleshoot.

Did you recently activate?  If so, did you do so online or in-store?

If you did IN-STORE, you would have to manually create a self-serve account before it can be accessed.

Do so here:

Public Mobile - Register

The more general article on Self-Serve accounts is here:

Create a Self-Serve account (publicmobile.ca)

No, I've been with Public for about 8 months. I had it setup, can't remember the password and the password reset function in the self serve system is broken.

Hi @Evilbred 

This may go without saying, but just trying to troubleshoot.

Did you recently activate?  If so, did you do so online or in-store?

If you did IN-STORE, you would have to manually create a self-serve account before it can be accessed.

Do so here:

Public Mobile - Register

The more general article on Self-Serve accounts is here:

Create a Self-Serve account (publicmobile.ca)

Evilbred

@Dunkman wrote:

@Evilbred 

The mobile provider website is "even more finicky" on mobile phones.

You can't run a self-service model system when your self-service system is so terrible.

I just need to get my account numbers so I can transfer my phones to another provider.

You could get your account number from the welcome email that Public mobile sent to you when you first activated your account.  The account number is in the sent TO:  section on the email.  If you did not delete that email, you should be able to get your account number that way.  

There have been promises of improvements on the website for awhile and supposedly, improvements will be coming in the next few weeks.  However, since you are porting out, that does not help you now.  

@Evilbred 

You can't run a self-service model system when your self-service system is so terrible.

I just need to get my account numbers so I can transfer my phones to another provider.

You could get your account number from the welcome email that Public mobile sent to you when you first activated your account.  The account number is in the sent TO:  section on the email.  If you did not delete that email, you should be able to get your account number that way.  

There have been promises of improvements on the website for awhile and supposedly, improvements will be coming in the next few weeks.  However, since you are porting out, that does not help you now.  

Evilbred

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Evilbred wrote:

That'

@Dunkman wrote:

@Evilbred wrote:

A response in a few hours is frankly unacceptable.

@Evilbred 

Officially, the response time can get up to 48 hours when really busy.  However, it has not been that busy recently. 

Here is more info:

During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Moderators are available:

• Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

48 hours? That's insane. What if your account got broken into? 

It's my understanding if your account got broken into, your inquiry may receive higher priority.

In such cases, using the Lost/Stolen feature also serves to avert issues, along with changing passwords among sensitive sites.

I agree, though, it is a long time to wait and leaves something to be desired.

When you try the password reset function, are you manually entering your e-mail address (in full) or allowing your browser to auto-fill/auto-complete it?   I would recommend manually entering vs allowing auto-complete to ensure unintentional spacing is avoided.

When I try the password reset function I type my email address in, hit next and then the system spits "ForgotPassword/OldPasswordNotValidContactAdmin" out in red lettering

It does this because the system is broken. 

I've tried from work, at home, on my phone, on my desktop. 

This provider is a joke.

Evilbred

@Dunkman wrote:

@Evilbred wrote:

Tried all that, doesn't seem to make a difference.

Tried Edge, Chrome, Safari, Chrome on iPhone.

Same thing. 

@Evilbred 

You may want to try a different device.  Desktop or laptop computer.  This website on mobile phones can be even more finicky.  

@Evilbred wrote:

That'

@Dunkman wrote:

@Evilbred wrote:

@Evilbred 

Officially, the response time can get up to 48 hours when really busy.  However, it has not been that busy recently. 

Here is more info:

During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Moderators are available:

It's my understanding if your account got broken into, your inquiry may receive higher priority.

In such cases, using the Lost/Stolen feature also serves to avert issues, along with changing passwords among sensitive sites.

I agree, though, it is a long time to wait and leaves something to be desired.

When you try the password reset function, are you manually entering your e-mail address (in full) or allowing your browser to auto-fill/auto-complete it?   I would recommend manually entering vs allowing auto-complete to ensure unintentional spacing is avoided.

@Evilbred wrote:

Same thing. 

@Evilbred 

You may want to try a different device.  Desktop or laptop computer.  This website on mobile phones can be even more finicky.  

@Evilbred 

Those wait times rarely happen.  Usually response time is within a few hours.  

The Public mobile low cost, no frills type of company is not suitable for everyone. 

Evilbred

That'

@Dunkman wrote:

@Evilbred wrote:

@Evilbred 

Here is more info:

@Evilbred wrote:

@Evilbred 

Here is more info:

Evilbred

Evilbred

Same thing. 

Evilbred

I don't think I will be around to see it.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Evilbred 

Clear your browser cache. Close browser and open new window in incognito. You can also try a little later in case there is a server problem at the moment.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Evilbred 

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  Moderators response times varies, but you should get a response in the next few hours.  Check your private message inbox, envelope icon on right upper corner of website.  

The website is finicky.  You could try a different web browser, clear cache or incognito mode.  

Some basic account functions can also be done by calling 611 on your phone. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/611-IVR-Menu-System/m-p/289352

Need Help? Let's chat.