cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial port-out problem

suhonos
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, yesterday I ported out my PM number to a new provider. I spent several calls with the new provider and had to re-request the port twice before receiving an authorization SMS from PM.  Once the number appeared at the new provider, I could no longer login to my PM account, and my phone can no longer send or receive voice calls.  SMS and data seem to work fine on the new network.

Technical support at my new provider claims this is a partial port problem on PM’s end. Can someone help please resolve this issue with my number?  I’ve had many years of good experience with PM.  Many thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

suhonos

Giving the solution to @dust2dust because ultimately they were correct.  After waiting another day, calls started randomly working at some point.  I suspect it may have been related to VoLTE and/or Wifi calling (both of which were working fine before the port, and I disabled/re-enabled multiple times after the port), but I can't prove that.

Thanks to everyone for their answers, and my apologies to anyone who was annoyed by the question.

@walker1 wrote:

@suhonos 

I'll send you the Telus Port Dept. Phone number. Maybe they'll have the information your looking for.

Who knows, stranger things have happened around here before. Good luck.

Telus poritng department may be able to provide ansewrs, but as mentioned earlier, Freedom knows exactly what happened too if they check.  @suhonos, it's 100% Freedom Mobile's responsibilitiy to troubleshoot all of this and to get everything working properly. They should not be directing you back to ask Public Mobile for help.

@suhonos 

have you reset the network settings yet?

1. From the home screen navigate to Settings>General>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings
If prompted enter your passcode
3. Tap Reset Network Settings
4. Restart your phone

Hi @suhonos  I think you can save the call.  Telus porting team does not help with porting out issues.  Call your new provider and ask them what was the exact issue

If you need to check with PM, you need to open ticket with them.  Since you cannot login My Account,  message them here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

So you're seeing the new provider profile? Settings general about when on wifi. I'm not an Apple guy though so....

suhonos

Thanks, I’ll call them today and report back with the results. I’m increasingly inclined to agree this is an issue at the new provider’s end.

@dust2dust it is an iPhone, no carrier updates when I tried. Good thinking though.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@suhonos 

I'll send you the Telus Port Dept. Phone number. Maybe they'll have the information your looking for.

Who knows, stranger things have happened around here before. Good luck.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If this is an iphone, have you made sure of any carrier updates? Or whatever might need to be done in the Apple ID?

suhonos

Sorry @dust2dust, I misunderstood your joke. No argument intended.

In honesty I’m a bit sad to leave PM (and give up 5 years of loyalty rewards) but so it goes.  I still have great appreciation for the community, which I’ve lurked many times but never posted.  Your quick responses are more evidence of that. Sounds like I should have sent a private message to begin with, thanks for that.

I have done all the re-inserting and restarting dance several times, but it never hurts to try again.  In the meantime I’ll message an agent and contact my new provider again.

@walker1 thanks for the note about the SIM card not being re-usable, I didn’t know that!

I hope you saw the smiley after that question. It was a joke question of your comment of many years of good experience here. Of course you're free to do whatever you want.

If you think you need some kind of confirmation from here then you'll need to send a private message to a cs_agent. But the fact that the account has closed and the sim stopped and the text was replied to seems to indicate that this end is done. But see what they have to say.

Have you restarted the phone after all the re-requests and such? After the old sim stopped working?

suhonos

I’m happy to pursue this with my new provider, but their latest guidance was that there is more work to be done on PM’s end to complete the port. If a tech at PM can confirm that their work is done and they’ve “done their duty”, then I’ll be on my way.

re: why’d I leave — one of PM’s main selling points is “no contracts”.  I want freedom to move carriers as I see fit just like many other PM customers.  Things change.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@suhonos 

Your port was successfully completed, it sounds like.

Once you port of from PM you can't log into your account anymore because your PM account is automatically closed for good.

Also, your PM sim card won't work anymore for calling and texting. Can't be reused again either. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Then why'd ya leave? 🙂 Support is to be provided by the new provider. All that the old provider needs is the account to be active and that you reply to the text that came to the old sim. Sounds like that's been done. So now it's up to the new provider to help you. This side has done their duty.

Need Help? Let's chat.