cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PUK Need Urgently

Thano9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I already pmd the moderators but im hoping this can get some visibility from them. I just switched from freedom and I put the sim card in my phone. It asked for a pin (which I incorrectly put 3 times) and now it's asking for a PUK code. I need my phone for tomorrow for business, so im hoping this can be resolved soon.

14 REPLIES 14

Naaz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey, so after going back and forth through emails and verifying my account I was sent a puk code that was a combination of Letters and numbers. The puk code my phone is asking for is 8 numbers. Ive sent a screenshot of my phone along with some info hoping someone would respond back yesterday. I've emailed again this morning and still NO RESPONSE. 

Anything else I should or could do ?!?! 

The necessity for PUK can be bypassed completely by replacing your sim card with a new one.  PUK is an override security code that be used to re-enable the use of a sim card when the user has forgotten (or entered to many times incorrectly) the security PIN of the sim card.

If you want to or can't wait, Walamart and WOW have sim cards available, although some people have reported difficulties purchasing them outright at retail stores.

Please note that PUK is a completely different thing compared to a cell phone that is locked to another carrier.  A new Public Mobile sim card cannot bypass a phone being locked to another carrier.  You would need to first get such a phone unlocked first.

@Naaz Emergency measures: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/100-SERVICE/m-p/183753#M33693

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Canadiankid

The moderators answer solve problems in the order that they are sent. If there are a lot of people in front of you you will just have to wait a bit longer. I don't think you can do anything to speed up the process. I would suggest you just sit tight and wait as I am sure you will get help soon.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Naaz,

Based on this KB article...

How quickly should I expect a response from a  Community Moderator?

• During business hours, we strive to answer all customer messages/inquiries as soon as possible. Usually, that is within an hour, but in peak periods, it could be as much as within 48 hours of receiving the message.

-->  It is rarely 48 hours, unless there is a crazy promo going on.  Usually within a couple of hours.

Naaz

Hey Deputy Mayor,

I e-mailed @CS_Agent

I understand I'm not the only one with phone issues, do you know if it'll take a couple hours or days for some help. I need a phone for work which is important just want to know i guess how long, (approximately) I' m going to be unreachable by phone for. 

Thank you for your response and help !

Canadiankid

If freedom locked your phone they should have unlocked it for free. As of last year all carriers in Canada must unlock phones on their network for free. I would try and get your $40 back...

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Naaz, Unfortunately you will simply need to wait until they get to you.  Requests are handled on a first come, first served basis.  BTW, by emailed them, I hope you mean sent them a private message through this community.

Naaz

Hey I've also emailed a moderator but still no response. This morning my phone asked for a puk code don't know why. I use it for work please can I get some help regarding this 

thanks

Thano9
Hey guys I managed to fix my problem. First I called Samsung for an unlock code and that didn't work. Then I went to freedom and the guy had no idea what a PUK was and forwarded me to a phone case booth in the mall I was at. Then that guy unlocked my phone in 30 mins for $40. Just posting this incase anyone else comes across the same problem as me.

Thano9
I bought my phone unlocked from the Samsung store.

If the phone asks for a code with a new SIM it almost always means the phone is still locked to the previous carrier.  Given the moderators' backlog it may be a day, or two, before you have a response. Perhaps, turn on email notification of private messages to see their response as soon as it arrives. Even unlocking the phone at this point will not clear the SIM.

Some suggestions:

a) try your Freedom SIM; it may still work

b) review the suggestions here for a coping mechanism: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/BE-PREPARED/m-p/112014#M20827

c) if you are able to login to your account then get a new PM SIM and change over. I have a spare if you can get to the western Mississauga area; if so send me a private message.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

neatooo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
if the phone was from FM, then it is highly likely, it was locked.

neatooo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
was your phone locked?
Need Help? Let's chat.