cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM only give me LTS+ even though I got 5G

Maryjackson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a 5G plan and have a samsung s20fe 5G phone. But the top shows I am on the LTE+ network. This never changes even if downtown. My speed is between 25 to 50mb. Not up to 250 as my plan says. Is my phone supposed to show 5G or LTE+? Is 25 to 50mb normal for PM 5G?

I did a network reset and changes. I even reset the phone. Nothing works I can't get 5G to show up in the corner. Just LTS+ with speed 25 to 50.

7 REPLIES 7

@tkdmasterg 

It is a known issue that S20 has problem with Telus 5G network.  A bit more details here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-s20-5G/m-p/1043676#M728790

But you can test using the 4G network, the speed should be faster than 100Mbps and near 5G speed if you have a 5G plan

tkdmasterg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Did you find a way to make it work on 5G?

tkdmasterg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Are you using a S20 FE 5G for this photo?

I don't have a 5G/LTE/3G/2G option on my S20 FE 5G

@Maryjackson 

this seems to be the reason:

Basically Samsung blocks 5G capability on phones that have Canadian CSC. This was originally agreed / requested by Telus. The problem now is that Telus wants to have 5G on all phones, but Samsung will not go back to all the older models to enable it.

But one thing, if you are on 5G plan, even on 4G, you will get much better speed than the capped speed of 4G plan of 100Mbps, ie, you should get speed 150Mbps or more.  did you try any speed test?

And @mtbman have a workaround, except quite a lot of work

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/S20-Ultra-no-5G-connectivity/m-p/1046010/...

Maryjackson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I paid $350 for this phone just because it was 5G and for no other reason. And you are telling me they won't give me 5G with this phone? Why? Do they list all the 5G phones they will give 5G to so we know? How about the Samsung s20?

Mobile networks in my settings does not have the 5G option.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Maryjackson , I also have a S20 FE 5G that was purchased from Public Mobile.  Unfortunately, 5G won't enable for that phone on this service.  You are stuck with 4G/LTE.  That said, you still can achieve greater than 100 mbits/s speed on 4G/LTE depending on the local network congestion of course.  The 5G service is currently non standalone and runs on the 4G core, so there might not be that much difference anyway.  

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Go to mobile networks and change it to automatically connect to 5G and see if that makes a difference. 

Screenshot_20231110_212502_Call settings.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.