cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM Vouchers @ Shoppers

rolomonster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Idea for anyone that uses PM vouchers, Shoppers Drug Mart has $100 American Express credit cards on promo that works out to $95.42 each. You can use the AMEX cards to buy your PM vouchers at Shoppers. Saves you about 4.5%. Also, if you have a Tangerine credit card and have 2/4% set up for drugstores, you should get 2/4% cash back on the $95.42 you pay for the AMEX.
36 REPLIES 36

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
It shouldn't be a problem considering it's a voucher and not a gift card.

Cloud9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
In my case I had 2 $100 gift cards from the Xbox deal from a little while ago. I was just highlighting the fact that each sdm seem to have different policies, or simply don't know them

Rockdaddy22
Why use a SDM gift card? They never go on sale, so what's the point?

Cloud9

My experience has varied from one shoppers drug mart to the next.  I wasn't able to purchase PM vouchers at the one SDM, using SDM gift card, and so I tried at another SDM down the street, and it worked.  This is annoying to say the least.

Rockdaddy22
I've never had a problem using gift cards to buy PM vouchers or lotto.

I'll be buying some vouchers soon, I'll report back if I encounter any problems.

SD08

@NDesai, thanks for letting us know.

Word to the wise, though:  I've discovered recently that at least some Canadian Tire Gas Bars within central Toronto are not accepting Canadian Tire gift cards for purchases of vouchers or other retailer gift cards which CT now carries in their regular stores.  When I asked why, they said "like payments" cannot be accepted for gift cards/vouchers.  This may be very much dependent on location/region though.  So if anyone intends to get a significant number of CT gift cards for the purpose of buying PM vouchers, I advise that you check first with your local CT store/gas bar location.  There was one location that initially said it was fine, but when I asked if they were sure, they went to talk to their manager and returned with a no after all.  I even went so far as to have a cashier try to scan the gift card for payment of the voucher and it was rejected by their terminal.  I double checked that the gift card had an active balance.  YMMV, so beware.

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

cough... this is not RFD guys ... wrong form posting 😛

Rockdaddy22
That's correct.
I'll be buying a couple grand worth. I still have $2300 left so I'll grab $2700 to make an even $5000. Might need a lot of camping gear this summer.

I also use my PC World Elite MasterCard for %3 cashback when buying the gift cards. Also make sure to get CanadianTire money when buying gas with the gift cards.

@Rockdaddy22 @SD08 CT GC 10% off at SDM. Sale starts April 1st. Sick for purchasing public mobile vouchers.

@SD08 awesome explanation, I appreciate it! Thumb Up

I'm thinking I want to get away from using credit cards for payment (will still keep card on file for autopay credits), so I'll definitely look into the voucher route before my next 90 day renewal in mid-March.

Also, thanks for advice on calling the retailer. Several others have made the same recommendation in previous threads, so I'll definitely make some calls first before headed out on a mad "voucher" chase! Robot LOL

SD08

@daredogg
A "real time voucher store" loads the value immediately onto your account at the store, and the value can be any amount you'd like.
A regular "voucher store" gives you a code that you can use later to top-up your account when you want, and these will be in set denominations up to $100.

When checking for retailers on the PM site, if the type of voucher matters to you, it's best to contact the retailer as to what type they actually carry, as that list may be somewhat out of date.  For example, I've discovered that some Canadian Tire Gas Bars actually sell regular vouchers even though they are listed as "real time voucher stores."

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

reviving an old thread... but what's the difference between a "Real Time Voucher Store" and a "Voucher Store" as listed on the How to Pay page?

Thinking of switching to vouchers, so I'm just curious what type of location I should be looking for in my area. Thanks!

SD08

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
No they are not real time, can't remember the denominations, I usually just buy the $100 ones because they charge a $1 fee on each.

Okay, thanks for the info. Smiley Happy

Rockdaddy22
No they are not real time, can't remember the denominations, I usually just buy the $100 ones because they charge a $1 fee on each.

Rockdaddy22
I wonder if they only sell them in Ontario.

No canadian tire gas bars nor shopers sells PM vouchers here in the west coast 😞

SD08

@Rockdaddy22

Are the vouchers from Canadian Tire Gas bars of the real-time variety that get loaded immediately?  Are they set denominations, or any amount you want?

Rockdaddy22
I must've bought at least $6000 wort last time. My whole family uses them for gas and PM vouchers, plus you never know when you need something at CanadianTire. I haven't paid full price at CT in a long time 🙂

SD08

A few grand?  Cat Surprised

An investment that pays dividends every three months, even as it sits under your mattress.  Smiley Very Happy

Rockdaddy22
Probably won't be any for a couple months, luckily a have a few grand worth stashed away 🤑

SD08

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I have no problem getting my autopay credit, I've always loaded with vouchers via 611. You just have to make sure to have a credit card on file and autopay turned on. I always keep a couple hundred in my account.

Thanks for confirming this. Very useful to know, as it makes payments easier to manage.  Smiley Happy

Have you heard of any more sales of Canadian Tire gift cards going on?

Rockdaddy22
I have no problem getting my autopay credit, I've always loaded with vouchers via 611. You just have to make sure to have a credit card on file and autopay turned on. I always keep a couple hundred in my account.

SD08

That is my thought too, to err on the side of caution and underpay slightly when topping up by voucher.
I'd really like to hear @Rockdaddy22 's experience with this.  Or anyone else who uses PM vouchers along with autopay, please chime in. Robot Happy

I'm also wondering about the autopay factor.

I did read one instance where a moderator informed a customer that he/she was not eligible for the autopay discount because the account was manually topped up.

But, the mere fact that an account has a balance before autopay kicks in doesn't nullify the autopay credit. I know this because the previous billing cycle's rewards get added to the account as a regular account balance shortly before autopay kicks in.

I am speculating that if you are taking advantage of some type of discounted Public Mobile vouchers, you'll probably wish to deliberately make sure that autopay still kicks in at the time of renewal for a at least a small amount of $1 or so. 

SD08

@Rockdaddy22

My first 90-day renewal is coming up in February and I'm planning to use the Canadian Tire gift cards to buy a PM voucher. I'm already set up on credit card autopay, but I recently ran across this post from moderator Mary_M that says that manual top-ups (including payments by voucher?) are not eligible for autopay rewards:
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Bonus-discounts-not-reflected-...

In your experience, does what Mary said also apply to accounts that are set up for credit card autopay?  Since you regularly use PM vouchers, do you still still receive the autopay reward all along by having autopay set up?

SD08

Okay, thanks for the info.  Smiley Happy

Rockdaddy22

NO, this week they are on sale at rexall/pharmaplus in Ontario anyway. There probably won't be another gift card sale for at least 3month.

SD08

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I use the PC world elite master card %3

BUT I really prefer buying CanadianTire gift cards for %10 off at Shoppers, so I get the extra %3 there. Then I take those gift cards and buy Public Mobile vouchers at CanadianTire gas bar 🤑 Unfortunately CanadianTire gas bar charges a$1 fee 😞 So buy the biggest denomination you can. I've been doing this for awhile.

Are the Canadian Tire gift cards always 10% off at Shoppers?  Even if I don't have a Shoppers Optimum membership, and I just want to pay with any credit card?

rolomonster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Great idea!

doucanada

Great suggestions, more ways to save money.

Need Help? Let's chat.