cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On a 5G subscription plan, my phone shows an LTE connection.

MohammadShaikh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I have a phone mini 12 which is 5G compatible however, my connection with PM shows LTE. Is this standard for PM customers using all 5G phones or does this have anything to do with the phone settings? I do have a 5G subscription plan with PM. 

Thank you

13 REPLIES 13

@MohammadShaikh 

they were purchased in the US so I am sure they should be compatible to North American standards

unfortunately, that is most likely the main cause 5g doesn't work on your devices. 

MohammadShaikh

This did not work for me unfortunately only gives me a 3G and an LTE option on voice & data options on carrier settings. 

MohammadShaikh

they were purchased in the US so I am sure they should be compatible to North American standards. 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@MohammadShaikh   Apple suggests if you don't see 5G in the settings try turning airplane mode on, wait a little while and then turn it off again.   I have a 13 and it shows 5G although I have it set on 5G Auto so most of the time it is o n LTE anyway.

@MohammadShaikh 

were the iPhones purchased in Canada?

HI @MohammadShaikh 

your wife using PM as well? and iPhone?

Downtown Toronto should have good 5G connection.  5G not travel as far and not go through walls well, but with Downtown, the distance to tower is short and it should be good

Please submit ticket with CS agent and ask them to check and refresh your account

MohammadShaikh

So I am currently in the downtown Toronto area, which is why I was wondering why this issue persists. This is currently the issue with two phones (my wife and mine) both 5G compatible. Perhaps I should submit a ticket as you suggested. Thank you! 

HI @MohammadShaikh mine works

you sure you are in a region with 5G coverage?  If so, it is usually a phone problem than system.  if you have another phone, test your sim card there.  Or if you have another working sim, test on your phone

Not sure if you want to try reset the phone yet.  You can backup the phone first and then Reset the device

Or you can submit ticket with CS agent and ask them to confirm first, please submit a ticket with CS Agent here:
       https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

MohammadShaikh

@Handy1 and @hTideGnow this did not help, unfortunately. Do you both also use ios 17 and get the 5G notification?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @MohammadShaikh update iOS, update Carrier Profile

Then click Reset Network Settings 

Also, check network mode.  Force a 5G connecting 5G On . Once confirm working, change it back to 5G Auto and let the phoen decide when to use 5G to save battery

MohammadShaikh

Thank you I will try that and see if this works. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@MohammadShaikh  Make sure your iOS is up to date IOS 17.2 and reset network settings and you should see it in your options voice and data in phone settings 

Need Help? Let's chat.