cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old LTE plan vs new 3G

Cb44
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey, silly question... I get the LTE vs 3G but...

I have a LTE plan that is 10 GB shared for 3 months (I pay about $160 for 3 months)

I see the 3G plans are currently 9 GB a month for 3G (plan is $50 for 1 month)

Can you confirm that is correct?  ... so I could save a few bucks (10) and get a lot more data? (with slower speeds?)

Will I ever see 'better' LTE plans than what I have.?  ..or go to 3G to get this much data?  🙂

Thanks in advance! 

23 REPLIES 23

Cb44

Much appreciated... I have 3 phones on the 'old LTE' plans and have be nervous to switch.

This helps a lot.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Cb44 

1.  The current $50 plan with autopay is only 8.5GB 3G data - NOT 9GB.

2.  Your current 90 days LTE data plan is more than the 30 days 3G plan.  But you get a the data usage spread over 90 days.  It may come handy if you need to download large file using data.  But it comes with extra cost.

3.  I don't think PM will offer cheaper LTE plan than the current $30 1GB only plan because PM is not trying to compete in the LTE space since PM got rid of the build your own plan feature a few months ago.

If you decided to switch plan because of extra saving, You may consider letting someone to take over your account and make a few dollar by doing that.  Please note that you phone number will go with your account.  You create a new PM account for the plan you want.  

@Cb44 

Do you download using your data?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Cb44 , I would suggest that if you are able to get by with the lesser amount of data, do not switch to the new plans.  I have the full speed LTE plan whereas the rest of the family that joined after the new plans came into effect have the 3G speed plans.  In situations where pure downloads are involved, the 3G speed plan is just way too slow to be tolerable.  It is fine for chat apps and most web pages.  If the full speed plans were offered, I would switch all the plans over.  

@gblackma wrote:

@Cb44  your loyalty reward will drop to $3, your autopay to $2 and your refer a friend will stay at 6. The 2 Christmas holiday gifts will be kept. What were the terms of the 1 gig bonus? Thanks. 

@gblackma  slight correction this is rewards over 90 days so it is 2 referrals times 3 so refer a friend will drop to $2 every 30 days

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Atlantis7

If you want to you can always test it on your own current device. Public mobile uses the LTE towers but limits them to 3G speeds. If you go to your settings you can change your mobile network to focus on using 3G only. This will give you an idea if what you are signing up is enough for you.

Cheers.

@Cb44  your loyalty reward will drop to $3, your autopay to $2 and your refer a friend will stay at 6 ( as per @ShawnC13 ) also drop to 2.  The 2 Christmas holiday gifts will be kept. What were the terms of the 1 gig bonus? Thanks. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Cb44    How do you have $9 in loyalty?  I thought the maximum is 5 years for max. payment of $5?

Oops, disregard, of course you are getting 3 years on the 90 day plan.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Cb44 

Why not go for 40 plan, you still get 15 gigs over 3 months and save 40 over 3 months.

The only thing is that you don't get USA calling included, but you can buy 400 minutes for 15 or use TextNow for completely free calling.

3g plans are LTE with slowed down speed. So I don't see any difference between LTE and 3g plan as I don't download huge files. Hd videos play just fine. If I would need more speed to download (not crazy I download large files only on WiFi, but let's say I was stuck someplace and needed that file) I could toggle connection to true 3g, on true 3g there is no imposed limit on speed, only on LTE. 

As a side benefits they do optimize videos so you end up using less data

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Cb44 wrote:

From my account ... what about now.. lol .. do I keep my rewards? and bonus?

$150 for 3 month

My Rewards

Loyalty Reward ($9)

AutoPay Reward ($6)

Community Reward $0

Refer-a-Friend Reward ($6)

Data & Add-OnsAmount Used
$0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 1GB Add-on
583.870  /  1024 MB
$0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 400min INTL Long Distance (incl CA & US)
0  /  400 MIN
1GB Promo
0  /  1024 MB
9GB at 4G LTE Speed /90days
747.365  /  9216 MB

Yes all rewards will be based upon the 30 day cycle and all add-ons including the free gifts stay with your account no matter how often you change plans, that is until you've depleted them.

@Cb44 wrote:

$150 for 3 month

My Rewards

Loyalty Reward ($9)

AutoPay Reward ($6)

Community Reward $0

583.870  /  1024 MB
0  /  400 MIN
1GB Promo
0  /  1024 MB
747.365  /  9216 MB

@Cb44  Rewards and credits are associated with your account and not your plan so you get to keep them.🙂

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Cb44 yes, you will keep your rewards and bonuses. it will be broken down into 30 days though

Cb44

$150 for 3 month

My Rewards

Loyalty Reward ($9)

AutoPay Reward ($6)

Community Reward $0

583.870  /  1024 MB
0  /  400 MIN
1GB Promo
0  /  1024 MB
747.365  /  9216 MB

You do give up some speed for the more data and the cheaper plans @Cb44 . The plans are all 4g LTE throttled to 3mbts.  There is a latency in the that allows you to connect to unthrottled 3g with max speeds of either 21mbts or 42mbts depending on the 3g frequency connected to. Stay safe.  Choose  change your plan at next renewal date. Here is an article on switching plans 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/change-your-plan

And here's where to do it 

20200416_143943.jpg

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Cb44 If I was you, I would change the plans. You save more, you have more data, and you won't notice speed difference if you are not doing life steaming or something.

@Cb44 I am new here but would believe in order for them to keep the coat down they will probably keep it the waynit is as far as speeds. You can do add on's which offer LTE speeds but that can get expensive. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Cb44 wrote:

I have a LTE plan that is 10 GB shared for 3 months (I pay about $160 for 3 months)

Can you confirm that is correct?

@Cb44  The plan is $50 per 30 days for 8 GB data (8.5 GB if you enable Auto-Pay). Unlimited calling to US/Canada and Unlimited International texting.

... so I could save a few bucks (10) and get a lot more data? (with slower speeds?)

Correct!

Will I ever see 'better' LTE plans than what I have.?  ..or go to 3G to get this much data?  🙂

Go with the LTE lite (3G). If Public Mobile offers LTE plans in the future you can always change.

Thanks in advance! 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Cb44 

Yes you will get 25.5G in three months. And the speed is negligible. Its 4G LTE throttled to 3mbs. 

I think you getting 15.5G more is a much better deal and sign up for autopay and youll get that extra 6.00 off for every three months. 

PSA: Only my opinion, Im not a financial advisor..LOL

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Cb44 That $50 price is correct; $48 if you register for autopay.

It's not really 3g, rather LTE throttled to 3 mbps. PM does have both a 3G and LTE network. At a minimum, phones for use on PM must connect to the 3G network for calling; data also will work on the 3G network. 

As far as LTE plans at better prices, assume PM will always be "3g". Who knows what Telus, Bell etc. may offer in the future but PM should always be lower.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Cb44 wrote:

OK, makes sense...

Would you care to comment on the LTE plans with more data?  I've been waiting... will we see any?

Thanks again 

@Cb44   It's unlikely that PM will see LTE speeds anytime soon as it's the third tier provider under the Telus network so it might be something to consider before making your change if 4G speed is important to you.

Edit:  One other thing to remember is if you do opt to change plans, make sure to change at next renewal as PM doesn't refund or prorate for immediate plan changes.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Cb44

•  the $50 plan is currently 8gb with an extra 500mb with auto-pay
  • public mobile looks to have converted their plans to throttled LTE and won't be offering full speed LTE plans as of now

i would change plans to the throttled LTE, you won't notice much change in the speed especially for web page browsing, social media etc. you'll also notice that you use less data if you stream videos a lot.

Cb44

OK, makes sense...

Would you care to comment on the LTE plans with more data?  I've been waiting... will we see any?

Thanks again 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Cb44 wrote:

Can you confirm that is correct?  ... so I could save a few bucks (10) and get a lot more data? (with slower speeds?)

Thanks in advance! 

@Cb44   Yes, that's correct the new plans are all 3G (except for the $30/data only).  You are grandfathered in so will lose that plan plus the LTE speed if you change, but you will get a lot more data and remember also, all the new plans are 30 days and all rewards will be applied based on that cycle.  Most people don't notice much difference between 3G and 4G speeds for their internet usage.

Need Help? Let's chat.