cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Swap ?

fatfrog
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a number with Public and I have a number with Telus 123456 on a landline.

I want to put the Telus landline on my current Public account (it would be simpler to just start a new account but I lose my credit for time as a customer) and put the current Public number 654321 on the Telus landline.

If I start with the Telus to Public I lose the Public number because it gets overwritten by the landline port in, I also lose all phones during the transfer because the landline overwrites the mobile.

Any idea on how to get this done would be appreciated.

Ps. I did buy a Public sim thinking I would put the Telus line on a new Public account but then hey I lose $2 a months loyalty credit which isn’t a lot but hey, that’s why I use Public because it saves you money 🙂

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and do it that way. 😞

8 REPLIES 8

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@fatfrog  A workaround may be to port your landline to a number parking/forwarding service like numberbarn.com, or a more customizable VoIP service like voip.ms. Then you can reap the savings of not having the landline anymore, but also still allows you to have calls made to that number forward to your mobile number...

@t_p   Thanks for your kind reminder.    yes,  I was on the thread and fully aware what oracle said and warned

The thread is public and I am certain PM is aware of this by now.  Unless the OP of that thread going to delete the post, whatever said on the Community was said and going to be there.  We will wait and see if it was  a one off or if PM has been nicer for number changes between accounts within Telus family

t_p
Mayor / Maire

According to @computergeek541 , that practice is officially forbidden but could be done "behind the scene" by an "sympathetic" CSA.

There was a similar scenario occuring just the last few days and still according to @computergeek541  could lead to a crackdown.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@fatfrog  Technically, this could not be done.  But the latest news is they might be willing to do it now, especially this is something within Telus.  Someone just posted his/her experience just within the last couple days:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Swap-phone-numbers-with-Telus/m-p/...

So, keep your hope, open a ticket with PM and see if they are willing to do it.

To open a ticket with Customer Support Agent, click on the Bubble or directly at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot
Enter your question in SIMon. Follow the prompts until you reach the Contact Us button,

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to CS_Agents (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@fatfrog 

That's an interesting conundrum.  

If you choose one to do first, the other may be 'lost'.

Since you're doing this all through the TELUS umbrella of companies, I'd contact the Porting Helpline (may be limited hours this time of day), and pose the question.

I'll private message you their phone number.

They may ask you to contact a Customer Support Agent.  If they do, here's a couple ways how:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type Customer Support Agent, then select contact Customer Support Agent, then select other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@fatfrog 

In general, you are not allowed to switch numbers between accounts as you want.  As you mentioned, once you port your landline to PM, your PM number is lost, but you are able to keep your credits and rewards in your PM account.  You will not be able to transfer your PM number to Telus account. 

It may be possible with a very understanding Customer service agent (CSA).  However, this would be against prior guidance before from PM management.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@fatfrog wrote:

I have a number with Public and I have a number with Telus 123456 on a landline.

I want to put the Telus landline on my current Public account (it would be simpler to just start a new account but I lose my credit for time as a customer) and put the current Public number 654321 on the Telus landline.

If I start with the Telus to Public I lose the Public number because it gets overwritten by the landline port in, I also lose all phones during the transfer because the landline overwrites the mobile.

Any idea on how to get this done would be appreciated.

Ps. I did buy a Public sim thinking I would put the Telus line on a new Public account but then hey I lose $2 a months loyalty credit which isn’t a lot but hey, that’s why I use Public because it saves you money 🙂

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and do it that way. 😞

@fatfrog It sounds like you want to port your Telus home number to your Public Mobile account?

Yes, you can do that and you will not lose any your rewards and loyalty with Public Mobile.

You can port through your Self Serve account under the Change Number option.

EDIT:

FYI-

Porting from a landline it could take up to 7 days to complete.

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services.

Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

keepasa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I agree it can be a little tricky but can be done.  Just be aware that when porting landlines onto PM, the processing time will be much longer than when porting a wireless line.

Need Help? Let's chat.