cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Porting Problems

dtran3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello! I referred a friend to PM yesterday (@amogh12) and he is currently having issues with the porting his number. He is porting from Virgin Mobile. It looks like he was only able to send/receive messages from me who is also on a PM network, but not from anyone else. We looked through the forum and most people say to message @CS_Agent and get their help, which he has done already. We were wondering if there was anything else that could be done, or if only a mod can help. I want him to have a good experience with PM, so a quick fix for this problem would be greatly appreciated! He's worried as he requires his phone for part of his work as well.

EDIT: The number port occurred at 7:30PM MST and the message to @CS_Agent was sent around 7:00AM MST

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9

dtran3

Currently both of his sims are still active, although I believe that after the port one sim should stop working. He cannot receive texts in/out from anyone except me atm (who is on the PM network).

He is also getting texts from PM telling him to activate his sim online, but that was already done in store and he doesn't want to double up on the activation

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If he is able to text in and out using a Public Mobile sim, then the port was successful. Outgoing voice calls however should be working too, it's just the incoming calls that might take a little bit before it's redirected correctly.

@wmleung wrote:

I would first double check the APN (in More Networks settings) and clear all the APN settings and ensure to add PM's APN settings.

IF after all the above done, and still having issues, then a hardware reset ususally helps - but use it as the last resort.

Good luck.

Please note that APN settings have nothing to do with text messaging.  APN settings are also unrelated to any number porting issues.  APN settings only make the internet work.  As I was saying earlier, there are no settings on a phone that can possibly make someone only be able to receive text messages from one carrier but not another.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It will take sometime to fully port a number.  How long ago was the port initialized?

Your firend can call or send text using PM SIM card ATM.

After fully ported, your friend will be able to receive calls/text messages.

wmleung

I would first double check the APN (in More Networks settings) and clear all the APN settings and ensure to add PM's APN settings.

IF after all the above done, and still having issues, then a hardware reset ususally helps - but use it as the last resort.

Good luck.

dtran3

He has tried taking out the sim and restarting the device as well, to no avail.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Possilbe solutions include rebooting the phone, maybe take out and re-insert the SIM card.  Or try his SIM card in your phone?  

Otherwise, need to wait for the moderators.  It might be a longer than usual wait these days with all the issues from the weekend promo.  

@dtran3 wrote:

Hello! I referred a friend to PM yesterday (@amogh12) and he is currently having issues with the porting his number. He is porting from Virgin Mobile. It looks like he was only able to send/receive messages from me who is also on a PM network, but not from anyone else. We looked through the forum and most people say to message @CS_Agent and get their help, which he has done already. We were wondering if there was anything else that could be done, or if only a mod can help. I want him to have a good experience with PM, so a quick fix for this problem would be greatly appreciated! He's worried as he requires his phone for part of his work as well.

Thank you!

There isn't any setting on a phone that can make it only be able to receive messages from one carrier but not another.  I am going to take a guess that his incoming calls might not be working either.  Odds are, there is a problem with the number porting request.  Only moderators can fix account related issues.  Have your friend make sure that he has his Virgin Mobile account number handy in case the moderators have to resubmit another number porting request for him.

Need Help? Let's chat.