cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noticably Degraded Service Since Switching From Telus 2 Months Ago

kutzki
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Look, I understand that Public Mobile, while owned by Telus, doesn't mean I'm getting the same level of service as if I was on a Telus account, but honestly, since switching to Public, my cell phone service on phone calls is entirely unusable. People apparently can't hear me. I haven't had a SINGLE call that I haven't had to switch to WhatsApp or some other VOIP-based calling solution, forcing me to use more of my data. I have an iPhone 12 Pro. I was on the official Telus network and had none of these issues. I'm not making these calls from rural areas, either. It happened while I was in Toronto and now in Montreal, so I don't think it's location-specific. Could it be a SIM card issue? Not sure what to do here; some advice from others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much PM fam!

10 REPLIES 10

kutzki

I have opened a ticket and will report back on the situation as it progresses. Thank you so much, everyone, for all of your help. The community was the best part of Public back then, and it's great to see that community is still the best part of Public. No other carrier in Canada has the same vibes as this forum right here lol.

kutzki

I used to preach Public to everyone haha. The network was immaculate. I got service in some elevators and basements. I don't know what's going on now.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

My experience is completely opposite.

I was downtown Toronto, in the middle of concrete building and received call was so crystal clear I though calling person is behind me. SMS worked perfectly, too.

Similar experience is when I go for a walk in the provincial park (a loooot of woods) about 40 km from Toronto...

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You would most likely have to contact the CS_Agent  team and have them manually provision it for you if your account hasn't been as of yet.

kutzki

VERY interesting experience. I do not call out from hidden/private numbers. @softech to answer your questions, I only have it set to 4G/LTE (5G option wastes battery let alone we can't even take advantage of it lol) I did not receive a text with VOLTE enabled or anything, my phone is showing Carrier version Public Mobile 54.0.1. I assume this is the correct version?

@kutzki yes, newer iPhonr or iOS has VoLTE on by default, did you get a text saying your account is now VoLTE enabled?

And make sure your settings is set to LTE or 3G and not 5G.  Some confirmed leaving in 5G would in fact causes problems

And carrier profile is updated?

last thing to try is to open ticket with support and ask them to refresh the account from the system and it could resolve your problem

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I doubt this is your problem but maybe..I recently had a problem calling a perfectly normal number in my province. Technically long distance for me. It worked on voip and another Public account in a Canadian phone.

An on the ball internal technician had me turn off hidden number. (I have always hidden my number) Bam. Call goes through. This is very puzzling. The MIL has an option on her service that gives me a recording saying unknown callers aren't welcome. So I use the 31 dial code. No problem. But to just get dead air?

It was also the resolution for a toll free number from a resort in Mexico that gave an 8UV1 error. (The V stands for Vancouver. Apparently there's T and M and whatever else.)

VoLTE is not on by default. The provider needs to enable it. My phone can do volte but the provider seems to refuse to enable it.

kutzki

Guys, I wrote in the description that I have an iPhone 12 Pro. 😛 I was a customer during PM's Beta almost ten years ago now (jeez), and recently switched from Telus a couple of months ago BACK to PM. Will try VOLT and report back, Resets didn't work at all. 

Further Edit: 4G Enabled, have 4 bars of LTE data, Speed test is showing 25MBPS down and 4 MBPS up. This isn't TERRIBLE, but it's certainly not the 50-100+ I should be getting on an LTE network lol

EDIT: VolTE is apparently enabled by default on iPhone 12 Pro. There is no setting to enable/disable it lol

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@kutzki what phone do you have?  try to enable VoLTE on your device

Also, try Reset All Networks and see if it helps.  please note it will delete your wifi connections and you just need to add it back

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This could be related to settings on your phone. Can you give some details?  What phone and what have you tried so far?  How long have you been a customer?

Thanks

Need Help? Let's chat.