cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving certain calls

Wendevil
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, my wife and I are both with PM and recently discovered that our kids' schools cannot reach us on our cells.  When they dial our numbers they immediately get a "This call cannot be completed as dialed..." message, whether or not they dial a 1 for long distance etc.  Anyone out there experience this?  Not sure if it is a PM/Telus thing or whether the issue is on the schools' end.  To be clear...this is happening at multiple schools in our town but I am able to call our cells from work, home, other cells etc so not sure what to make of it.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

Wendevil

That is exactly what we did...she called both my cell and my wife's cell from her personal phone immediately after trying with the school phone and the calls went through.  Very strange...I think I will have her contact the school IT support person and see if they know anything about it.

@Wendevil wrote:

Thanks @Dunkman,

The one school's office admin said she had never had this issue before and has always been able to call cells.  The area code is the same as theirs and we can receive calls from the same area code and prefix (including our home phone) without issue.  Our numbers were ported over from Bell so they are older but standard numbers for our area.

Thanks for the advice about contacting the moderator...I'll do that shortly.

Ask the school office admin to call your cell from their own personal ccell. If they'd do that for you, that would confirm suspicion that school system is to blame.

Good luck.

Wendevil

I can't recall exactly what we did for porting, but have been with PM for a year now with no issues.  All other calls seem to come through fine.  We did verify with the school that they had the right numbers and were dialing correctly.  They are on the Bruce Telecom phone network which is the same as my home phone service and many other numbers that can call me.  Still very strange to me but I am starting to think that it may have something to do with the system the school board uses as the answering service/switchboard for the schools.  Hopefully more to come as I dig deeper!

@Wendevil  When setting up the contact info numbers originally was there by any chance a verification code that you had to enter during signup? If yes, then you will have to go through that process again since you ported your numbers to PM.

@geopublic wrote:

@Wendevil  That message gets triggered when the number dialed is incorrect. Have you verified with the schools that the number is correct?

@geopublic, you bring up a valid point. You might be right. However what are the chances that both his and his wife's number are being dialed incorrectly? And from multiple schools?

I am curious what phone network these schools are using. By any chance, are they using Bell? @Wendevil, is this something you can found out?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Wendevil  That message gets triggered when the number dialed is incorrect. Have you verified with the schools that the number is correct?

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@WendevilThere are multitude of possiblities but it sounds it is the problem for the school to figure it out rather than you. They are dialing you, not you dialing them (if it is the later than it is Public Mobile's issue).

Wendevil

Thanks @LovesToPM 

We have a home phone that the school can call, and they recently called me at my work number so I could relay to my wife's cell.  Kind of annoying but still functional I guess.

I will contact the moderator and see if they have any answers.

Wendevil

Thanks @Dunkman,

The one school's office admin said she had never had this issue before and has always been able to call cells.  The area code is the same as theirs and we can receive calls from the same area code and prefix (including our home phone) without issue.  Our numbers were ported over from Bell so they are older but standard numbers for our area.

Thanks for the advice about contacting the moderator...I'll do that shortly.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Wendevil wrote:

Hi, my wife and I are both with PM and recently discovered that our kids' schools cannot reach us on our cells.  When they dial our numbers they immediately get a "This call cannot be completed as dialed..." message, whether or not they dial a 1 for long distance etc.  Anyone out there experience this?  Not sure if it is a PM/Telus thing or whether the issue is on the schools' end.  To be clear...this is happening at multiple schools in our town but I am able to call our cells from work, home, other cells etc so not sure what to make of it.

Thanks

Hmmm... things to try.

1. You might try the lost/stolen phone trick to see if that will "reset" your phone line.

2. Try contacting Moderators and explain the issue to them.

In the meantime if the issue is not resolved, can you provide the schools with another phone number to call? It could be a relative/family friend, and that person could rely the message to you and your wife.
Or perhaps the school can text you if that's an option.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Wendevil 

Maybe ask the school if this is a common problem calling other parent's cell phone number.  Are your PM cell numbers have a newer area code to your area?  Sometimes that causes an issue.  Make sure that your phones have not "blocked" the school phone number.  

You might want to contact moderator to see whether PM can do anything about it.  Click on the question mark on the right lower corner on this website and start ticketing process.  

Need Help? Let's chat.