Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Signed up for a 5g plan.

Have a 5g phone (sm-a526w).

In an area with 5g coverage.

Only getting LTE connection.

6 REPLIES 6

Ilandr_99

5G availability dependent on service availability and type of phone (Samsung, Google, iPhone, etc.) 5G primarily a big city offering. Not available throughout Ontario.

Publskub

I have only ever seen LTE or 4g while my wife's says 5g around the city. Phone is set to autoconnect to 5g

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Publskub 

Have you tried to manually select 5G network?  

Depending on specific location (ie, nearest cell tower), it is possible that LTE connection is the best one for your situation.  

Here is some more info:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/speed-tiers

Might want to observe what happens when you travel around.  You should get 5G connection in different locations.  

Even customers on 3G and 4G plans can get 5G connection, but just have different capped data speeds. 

@Publskub  yes unfortunately even with 4G plan is speeds up to 100mbs and 5G is up to 250mbs doesn’t mean you will always hit those numbers I have a Telus 5G+ plans that says speeds up to 2GBps but usually can only get 5-7 hundred mbs so just a 1/4 of the advertised speed . This is unfortunately normal for carriers . But at any given  time those speeds test can be different due  to network congestion location environment like construction and will give different results at different times 

Publskub

Have only seen speeds of 100mbs

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Publskub  pM dose not give the 5G option to all 5G capable phones . Samsung s20 is prime example of this . But also note with phone set to LTE being in 5G plan its stilll possible to get speeds up to 250mbs 

Need Help? Let's chat.