cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

North American plan

bd23
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there

Wondering if you could help me. I currently work very often in the U.S, enough that roaming services wouldn’t help me. I need a Canada/U.S plan and actively looking into other companies that offer this type of plan. A worker from T Mobile informed me it is possible to keep my number and to port it over to them when I’m ready. I just want to confirm that this is possible on Public Mobiles end. He said I need to contact PM customer service and retrieve the Port Pin and to also ask for my Account Number. He said as long as PM can release it to an American carrier in this way it will work. Can you please help me out on this? 
I ideally didn’t want to leave PM but given that there isn’t a North American plan that would serve me I am unfortunately unable to work without it. Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@bd23 

You can download the TextNow to use in Canada and purchase a TextNow SIM Activation Kit while in the USA.

It is best to have a dual SIM, one for the PM SIM and one for the TextNow SIM.

Drawback is having 3 telephone numbers and you will need a US mailing address and US CC to purchase.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Buy a USA Canada Mexico plan in the USA. Unlimited calls, data and texting no matter what one of the three countries you are in. The con is......must call an American number to contact you. My granddaughter is in college in the USA and has a plan as mentioned. I believe it is a Verizon Plan. $65 US$ a month. 

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@bd23 

No North American Plan.

but you can keep your service with PM and buy it  > Jethro Mobile [30 Days] USA Prepaid Sim Card

and very cheap when you go to U.S used when be back to canada used PM.

or if you go to U.S and in your place has Wi-Fi then Download the TextNow App

will get from that app number to make Call & SMS for free.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

PM offers only US add-ons limited to 10 days of service.

If you often travel to USA and need phone service while there, best way will be to have USA SIM card. Any other roaming arrangements will cost you a bundle.

You can even consider one of free voip app; but you have to be close to WiFi.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@bd23 - you can port to whatever provider you wish as long as they can take on your number. The new provider takes care of all the porting process. 

If you need your account number you can log into My Account and find it under your Profile TAB, or perhaps you received an activation email..if so, the account number would be in the TO line of the email.

Maybe you are able to pull of 2 numbers: 1 while in Canada and 1 while in USA?

If you are in USA for longer periods of time you could suspend your account with public or downgrade to the $15 plan to save $'s, then activate a new number in the USA with T Mobile.

You can have a public mobile phone number in suspended status (nonpay status) for up to 90 days without losing it, if you wish to do so.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@bd23 wrote:

Hi there

Wondering if you could help me. I currently work very often in the U.S, enough that roaming services wouldn’t help me. I need a Canada/U.S plan and actively looking into other companies that offer this type of plan. A worker from T Mobile informed me it is possible to keep my number and to port it over to them when I’m ready. I just want to confirm that this is possible on Public Mobiles end. He said I need to contact PM customer service and retrieve the Port Pin and to also ask for my Account Number. He said as long as PM can release it to an American carrier in this way it will work. Can you please help me out on this? 
I ideally didn’t want to leave PM but given that there isn’t a North American plan that would serve me I am unfortunately unable to work without it. Thank you!

At Public Mobile, your only option are the roaming add-ons. Careful with North America plans. Carriers have rules about how much roaming you can use.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@bd23 hi sorry there are no North American plans here also I don't believe a number can be ported to an american carrier 

Need Help? Let's chat.