cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No network in Alaska

Crystal17
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Travelling in Alaska now and there is no cellular network on my phone, even though my area is shown as included in the Public Mobile coverage map. I tried to manually register with AT&T but it failed. I'm currently on the $29/50G for Canada & US plan, and it worked without problem in Seattle and Boston.

Is there any way I can get cellular and data coverage? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20240322_124300_com.android.phone.jpg

Screenshot_20240322_124403_com.android.phone.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

HI @Crystal17 

Alaska seems to be a tricky state for roaming.  Many had issue before, then connecting to AT&T works since late last year.  Maybe reboot the phone once more and try

Crystal17

Just tried now, unfortunately still not working and the same error message - "network registration failed. Selected network (AT&T 4G) unavailable". In the lower 48, my phone was able to automatically connect to T-Mobile, which is apparently not available in Alaska. I updated my post with screenshots of my network setting if that's helpful.

Crystal17

I turned on manual network selection, and "AT&T 4G" showed up. When I selected it, my phone shows "registering with AT&T 4G..." for a few mins, then with an error message saying "network registration failed. Selected network (AT&T 4G) unavailable".

HI @Crystal17 

so, you try manual connection and don't see AT&T network there?

Crystal17

Thank you. But I have an older phone (Huawei P20) that doesn't support 5G. My network is set to 4G/3G/2G Auto and tried to connect to AT&T 4G, but it said "network unavailable". I have updated my post with screenshots.

fixin
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Crystal17 - Try going to LTE. There are certain limitations with AT&T.

Did you try restarting your phone? Were you on AT&T in Seattle or Boston? Or T-Mobile down there in the lower 48?

If nothing, try resetting your network settings *This will erase any saved Wi-Fi passwords*

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Crystal17 

Make sure you don't choose 5G on the network mode, choose only 4G or LTE and then connect to AT&T only 

(5G won't work and you won't be able to connect on T-Mobile in Alaska)

Need Help? Let's chat.