ZYP
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why I couldn’t find city Mississauga? Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@ZYP wrote:

Why I couldn’t find city Mississauga? Thanks 

The cities offered are based off of the conventional phone network "rate centres" - and many of these rate centres have local calling to other nearby rate centres, for example, even though Public Mobile doesn't offer numbers in Mississauga, there are a number of other "rate centres" in the area with local calling to/from Mississauga. I'm not from the area but you can look up rate centres and phone number local calling areas with this this useful site:

https://localcallingguide.com/lca_listexch.php?ename=mississauga&region=&npa=&lata=&lir=

The above link supposedly shows all rate centres for Mississauga - which fall into a larger local calling area for Brampton ON, which is itself a local call to/from Toronto, ON:

https://localcallingguide.com/lca_exch.php?exch=152460

So, for the Brampton, ON local calling area (keep in mid this really only matters if you want to ensure those calling you from land lines without canada-wide calling) here's a few cities you could check phone numbers to choose from the list Public Mobile offers:

Brampton

Toronto

Caledon East

Georgetown

The list is much larger if you want to ensure Toronto is a local call, as it starts to include all the other cities around the other directions...

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not just Mississauga, many cities are not there.  Not sure where PM got the city list from.  Should be a free from field

@softech wrote:

@ZYP   The city info on the profile is for PM to keep record only, it has nothing to do with any serious validation, definitely not to validate your credit card.  So, if you like, you can leave it blank , or pick one city closest to you 

If a customer is trying to set up a new account, this city field can't be left blank.  The only way for it to be blank is from cases where Public Mobile deleted the city name on the accounts of existing customers during the Self Serve transition/update.

@Sumaiya_S @J_PM 

As previosuly discussed, I'm aware that this issue has no direct effect on a cutomer's service.  However, I can't ermphasize enough how frustrrating this is for a customer's Self Serve experience and how this appears to customers as a eaisly avoidable mistake by the carrier.  Not only there new threads about this very issue on a regular basis, but I would imagine that CSAs have likely also spent a considerable amount of time answering this same question.  This is case of something being changed that wasn't broken, similar to an old saying/expression.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@ZYP   The city info on the profile is for PM to keep record only, it has nothing to do with any serious validation, definitely not to validate your credit card.  So, if you like, you can leave it blank , or pick one city closest to you 

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@ZYP 

You can leave it blank or choose other city near you.

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@ZYP hi all the cities are not listed just pick anyone close to your location, it bears no importance to your account 

Need Help? Let's chat.