cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No US data on Can-US 60gb plan

cgphoto
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Arrived in US today and connected to T-Mobile, but no data on iPhone. Data roaming is on, tried resetting network settings but issue persists. What am I doing wrong? I did get a Public Mobile msg when I turned on my phone here telling me I can buy a roaming add on but my plan is a Can-US plan so why would I need to? Frustrated, please help.

5 REPLIES 5

HI @IceManKent 

it is more a phone issue in choose the wrong network

when you are in US, you can manually choose between T-Mobile or AT&T

also better to use mode with 5G.  So, choose the one without as 4G or LTE is more stable

for your reference, this is the PM page about roaming troubleshooting
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming-troubleshooting

IceManKent
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just travelled across the border (Cornwall ON crossing - into Massena NY).
I thought I'd try out my new 34.00 5G-Speed 50GB CAN-US plan.

Public Mobile REALLY should give its users of the plan, an FAQ on how to set it up properly !!!!

WHAT WORKS:

1. Mobile Networks, Data Roaming = ON

2. Mobile Networks, Network Mode = 5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)

3. Mobile Networks, Network Operators, Select automatically = OFF

4. Mobile Networks, Network Operators, Available Networks = SELECT T-Mobile

HOW I FIGURED IT OUT:
When I crossed the border, the only (non-standard) setting I had was Data Roaming =ON.
Nothing worked. Phone displayed "Emergency Calls Only". No Data, No calls, etc.
I then tried switching to Network Mode = LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect).
That made the phone (try to) connect to T-Mobile, and it seemed to connect - but still - nothing worked.
After maybe 2 minutes - the phone, (by itself), selected Verizon.
With Verizon, it still did not work.
Frustrated, I tried selecting different things to see what (magical combination) of settings would work.
What I eventually figured out - is as per my "WHAT WORKS", above.

It is disappointing that Public Mobile offers a Can-USA plan, but does not have a "formal" FAQ regarding how to actually set up your device to (use) it !!!

Bottom line - manually select T-Mobile.
There is no seamless switchover as I was expecting.
When you get back to Canada, just change your settings back again.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@cgphoto  You don't need a US roaming add on if you have a Canada/US plan, that message is just to let you know you have left PM's own coverage area.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@cgphoto 

first, make sure you have either US roaming addon with data purchased on you have the proper Canada-US plan.  Login My Account using Incognito mode to confirm

And here are some steps to try:

Critical part to US roaming depends on T-Mobile/AT&T coverage and whether you can connect successfully onto either network.

If the phone is not connecting to T-Mobile/AT&T, change the Network Connection from Automatic to Manual and select and test both T-Mobile and AT&T and see which one you can connect.

If your issue is with data, make sure your Roaming Mobile data is enabled and you have disabled your mobile data limiter.  Also change your network mode to 4G (and don't try 5G until you can connect and works on 4G)

If your issue is with voice, make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  And if it does not work, try to change the Network to T-Mobile ONLY, and change  Preferred Network Type or Network Mode to 2G and see if the calls go through.
Also, you can download VoIP app TextNow as a workaround to make calls and text if you have Wifi or if your roaming has data component and data  is working

Jedi1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

From what I have read here, you need to make sure roaming is turned on and it is best to select LTE.  Maybe try that first.  

Need Help? Let's chat.