cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Service after transferring SIM card from old iphone to newer iphone

kesavah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

After moving SIM card from old iphone to newer iphone and doing all the transfer stuff, new phone says either Searching or No Service. I've already cleared the network settings, taken the SIM card in and out a few times, looked through all the settings to see what might be amiss, restarted the phone, everything. Still isn't connecting. Is there a step I've missed? Any ideas why this isn't working?

23 REPLIES 23

@kesavah 

What @hTideGnow  is saying. In general, about, does carrier lock say “No SIM Restrictions” ?

Meaning the phone is carrier unlocked. 

What model is the new iPhone?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

and @kesavah , if you   Go to settings, about then scroll down.
Look for Carrier Lock, what is showing there?

HI @kesavah   I honestly don't see you talked about your Carrier profile version.  I even did a search I cannot find it.

What  Carrier Profile version is that?

kesavah

already done all of this, please read the rest of the thread

kesavah

Alas, there is nobody like I said before, and the nearest apple store is the next town over, I'm on my own unfortunately. This is super frustrating, everyone just keeps telling me to do the same things over and over and nothing is working.  I'm beginning to suspect it is the device itself, all the other options aren't working

@kesavah 

If possible, try to get a friend or other person to 'lend' you their SIM card to put into this device to see if it can pick up their network.   It won't affect their SIM or their service, and it'll at least help you determine whether you have a device issue or not.

Failing that, if you're near an Apple Store, their genius bar associates are very good with helping customers with this sort of thing.   After all, they do want their users to be able to use their devices.  

HI @kesavah   What is the carrier profile version? 

If you don't see it showing Public Mobile, try to run a profile update.  Or use iTune

and you still have the old phone?  can you put the SIM back to the old phone to confirm the SIM still works?

kesavah

Already checked that hTideGnow, that was near the beginning of this conversation

kesavah

new one is an SE 2nd generation

HI @kesavah   did you get your phone from private sell? please check if your phone is blacklisted here:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

@kesavah 

It sounds like there is issue with your new phone since the SIM works in your old phone.

What iPhone model is your new phone?

kesavah

I did put the SIM back into my original phone and it connected just fine again

Did you logout from your Apple ID from your old phone?

May try to connect your iPhone via cable to iTunes on a computer. 

kesavah

Unfortunately no, it's just me, I don't have anyone else to test

@kesavah 

If someone else is on the PM network in your household, can you try THEIR sim card in the new device, just to see if it'll connect to the network.

kesavah

Yes indeed

Did you reboot?

kesavah

Already did that method of transfer, everything appears to have come over, but still no service.  Maybe I'll just try doing the entire thing again, wipe the new phone and re-transfer everything.  

kesavah

nope, it was just a few minutes ago until I put it into the new phone

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@kesavah 

If both phones are on same iOS. (And maybe not)

Reset new phone. 

Put new and old phones side by side

Start the set up process on new phone and you will be asked if you want to copy old phone to new. Say yes, do some answers and let the 2 phones  work. 

Reboot new phone with SIM installed. 

I did same a few days ago....everything worked....passwords too. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@kesavah 

When was the last time you had service with the PM SIM card in the older device?

Possibly greater than 90 days?  If so, account is deactivated.

If not, can you try the SIM card in another compatible device to see if the problem may be with the SIM card or the new device.

kesavah

Yes, I signed into apple id, and yes it was purchased second hand from a reputable source, and no it's definitely not blacklisted, I checked!

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@kesavah 

Did you sign into your apple ID in your new phone?  

Try to connect the phone to iTunes on a computer.  

Did you purchase the new iPhone 2nd hand?  Is it possible that it is blacklisted?

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Need Help? Let's chat.