cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Connectivity in California

zulu531
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

While on a trip through Washington, Oregon and California I experienced a seemless transition of services from B.C. to Washington and Oregon.  The data speeds were often not even close to advertised (but then when are they ever right; outside of some core city block).  But as soon as I hit California the phone would not establish a connection to the available networks (I did take the phone off "auto" and manually tried to connect to every available service but without luck).  It did seem to be related to the authentication (in that I was not authenticated against the tower transmitter/receivers) and I later found out that a well known authentication service (Syniverse) used by some providers was experiencing problem.   What I would like to know from Telus: was my problem related to the failure of Syniverse?  What does Telus intend to do to make sure this does not happen on a regular basis?   To reiterate the problem - I could not use my communication service in a state that has a larger population, larger GDP, and larger technical ability than the whole of Canada: even though you Telus contracted with me to provide this service and hire suitable third parties.  Did this cost me (the customer) time and money - yes: since instead of using Expedia to find me accommodation I had to travel hotel to hotel to find something (had to take the first one that had a vacancy.  But there is more; my recently purchased BMW came with full time connectivity (hotspot, streaming music and emergency services) all hooked up to...............Telus.  If the blame is Syniverse let me remind you that you are judged technically by the technical company you keep.  Why did you pick Syniverse?

8 REPLIES 8

zulu531

Thanks! I will give it a try.

@zulu531  The alternative to the chatbot is to send a private message to support using this link

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

zulu531

Yea, tried the chatbot before posting this to the community.  It just got into a logic loop when I hit a 404 page on publicmobile.ca that was supposed to point to some solution or form for human interaction.  It actually said "if you get a 404 page just retry".  So if you have found a method to communicate to an actual human and completely bypass the (idiotic) chatbot...................please share it; the chatbot is too stupid to be more than a front end to FAQ.  Also I do believe that this Community channel is monitored by real Telus humans (at least it was when I started with PM about 13+ years ago) so perhaps they can react.  Also I was hoping to share with the Community what they could ask Telus if they suffered similar problems.   As you point out it is very easy for Telus to say that they are completely absolved of any responsibility for the problem merely because they hired the wrong company.  Curstomers need to know how to respond to this in a positive way - change future behavior. And by the way Syniverse does sell their services in Canada so this is not necessarily just a US problem.  All of this presuming that I did not suffer another different failure of the agreement between Telus and their contractors for California.  Another point to you.  "Partners" is a marketing euphemism and it is better not to repeat it since it is a lie.  Telus is a service provider business that has business contracts with all their sub-contractors to provide the service that we pay for.  All interaction between Telus and its sub-contractors is carried out according to this contract - their is no partnership relationship.

@zulu531  The Syniverse statement is here

https://www.syniverse.com/news-and-events/statement-from-syniverse-regarding-syniverse-addresses-ser... 

If you want to contact PM about this you'll need to use the chat icon bottom right of this page, as @hairbag1 suggested.  We're just other customers here.

zulu531

What Telus can do (if Syniverse was the problem - Telus still have not stated this to be the case) - since they are the customers of their US Roaming providers (they are not "partners" in a commercial sense) is put pressure on Syniverse to provide a verifiable corrective actions.  As you note Syniverse have not been transparent about the cause of the problem (the "signalling storm" has the same technical validity as saying "global warming") or any potential solution - their blogs have been very silent.  Telus advertise (as do their contractors - US providers) as technically advanced providers of communication services.  Clearly Syniverse (despite their advertising) is not as technically advanced as they should be in the world of fiber latency and AWS.  If AWS had no "signalling storm" prblems than why did Syniverse - Telus need to apply pressure to them to find out, admit it any provide a corrective action plan . "You are judged by the company you keep". Telus are you like Syniverse?

@zulu531 The Syniverse outage (supposedly caused by a "signalling storm") affected roaming for everyone on AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon, i.e. Public Mobile's only US roaming partners.  I'm not sure what PM/Telus can do when the problem is on their partners' side.  Syniverse has supposedly fixed the problem.

zulu531

A credit on lost days is a trivial amount of money/compensation.  Telus contractually refuse (they are not alone in this; it is common practice in almost all service contracts of any industry in the Western world) to pay for consequential damages; which is the non-trivial amount.  The only actual corrective action they can take is to do some work to try and learn from their customers experience and change their work practices to avoid it happening again.  However we would be now asking individual people way above the CSA paygrade to take action - I not sure that Telus have such a corrective action procedure since they are not ISO9001 registered.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@zulu531 

you can ask for credit to your account for the unsatisfactory add-on. Click on the little orange bubble on bottom right of page to start the process. Give thm as much acct info as you have..ie acct #, ph #, name on acct, PM pin #...etc.

Need Help? Let's chat.