cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5G on Android after port.

BanjaD
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

Using a Samsung S20FE and just ported over to PM for the boxing day promos. New plan shows is 5G plan. But no 5G signal which I had with prior provider.

I wouldn't mind but now LTE and LTE+ only and not stable and slow. I've attached a screenshot of speeds 20 mbps down.

Hopefully someone can assist as I wouldn't have ported if I had known this would happen. My connections now are terrible compared to prior provider. 

Thanks.

Screenshot_20240115_193151_Speedtest.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

@TheSterlinger wrote:

Sometimes Samsung S20 FE 5Gs are tricky phones when it comes to 5G.
Go to Settings and click Connections, click Network mode and click 5G connectivity. Then restart your phone. If that doesn't work then unfortunately you will not be able to get 5G speeds. 
You can try submitting a ticket a Public Mobile CS agent.
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@fixin @TheSterlinger 

I do not believe that this is an issue to contact a customer support agent about, at least when it comes to the part about not being able to connect to the 5G network.  While the speeds are on the low side, speeds can vary greatly depending on network conditions.  The Canadian version of the Samsung Galaxy S20FE 5G (even the one sold by Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile - yes, Public sold it as a CPO device at one point) cannot use the 5G network at Public Moible.  This is not a matter of the device not being on a whitelist. There is no whitelsit for allowed 5G devices (unlike the list for VoLTE devices).  If @BanjaD's device is a Canadian model of the S20 FE 5G (has a "W" at the end of the specific model identifier), trying to make adjustments to the network settings won't yield any favorable results for this matter because this is a Samsung software issue that @softech brought up.  When a Public Mobile SIM card is inserted into these devices, the software on the device itself blocks 5G connectivity. This is not something that Public Mobile has control of, nor could a customer support agent enable a feature for this device. A device software update would be required, but due to the age of this device model, an update to enable 5G networks is unlikely to ever be released.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

I have same phone, with my s20 I got 281 download on wifi.

76.89 on data. My phone is always on LTE, and auto switches to LTE + which works fine.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BanjaD 

it is a known issue that S20 series does not work well with PM or Koodo, mainly because it was blocked on the OS level, an agreement between Telus and Samsung because both Koodo and PM did not have 5G support when S20 was introduced.  Yes, PM and Koodo both supporting 5G but it is too late and Samsung no longer update the OS to allow the phone to use 5G on PM

But your speed on LTE should be much better than 20Mbps.  Please try "Reset All networks" on your phone first, and also test the phone in different area

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-s20-5G/m-p/1043676#M728790

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sometimes Samsung S20 FE 5Gs are tricky phones when it comes to 5G.
Go to Settings and click Connections, click Network mode and click 5G connectivity. Then restart your phone. If that doesn't work then unfortunately you will not be able to get 5G speeds. 

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BanjaD  - I think the S20FE (5G) is not on the list of 5G Support for Public Mobile. But by the Speedtest you showed with LTE enabled, the cell tower that you are connected to may be congested. You should be getting more than 100mbps download but only 20mbps download.

Need Help? Let's chat.