cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie wants to know why Public has pushed new data plans without a small data package like 1-2Gigs.

OldFordFalcom
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We have 3 phones in the house, two for personal use and one for seasonal hobby sales. I moved the hobby phone to the 3g $15/mth plan, it's all I need. However, I was going to move our personal phones over as well with small data limits since we don't use much data and the USA international text/msging was a bonus to enable us to text and message family in the USA. I'm now rethinking this since the savings (for us) between Bell and Public aren't all that significant. The new website is also not very well worded. The word "subscription" is thrown around continuously and therefore confuses plan descriptions. Also the "Plan Details" looks like a generic page on the website where all "Plan Details" links lead to. Sorry to say but this is terrible design.

Anyway I am totally frustrated.

15 REPLIES 15

OldFordFalcom

But that depends on the phone technology/age as well. Not everyone can afford new phones. Ours are all 5G but those with older 3G capable phones are soon out of luck. That's brings me to the next logical conclusion that there must be other than just the 5G signal being downgraded. Not even all 4G phones could connect to that or the 5G towers still have the capability to transmit 3G, 4G and 5G. Speed is throttled back for the slower speeds but the hardware in the towers will not be supporting a 3G connection. That makes more sense.

OldFordFalcom

Actually they do, I found these plans on the Fido site today. The kicker for me is the ability to text/msg the USA plus the roaming add-ons available here.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Well now it's all delivered on the 5G network since we all have access to it on different throttle tiers, and really that's all the plan marketing is, but the wording is poor and people think it means it's infrastructure related.

In short we all have 5G access now, just pay for different data speeds and buckets on it.

OldFordFalcom

Good to know, I didn't realize that. I didn't have a smart phone until I retired, didn't really need it. So now I'm playing catch-up. Funny isn't how you can be in the IT business for 40 years and not need one. lol

@OldFordFalcom wrote:

Interesting, if I log on with my current subscription and click "Change subscription" it show the two cheaper plans at 3G only. I guess you don't actively advertise something that is eventually going away in a few months or will Public Mobile support the 3G plans on the 4G service???

Unless you set your phone to 3G connection, your data is delivered over the 4G network. I've never been happy with that 3G label - it really only refers to the speeds you get.

In terms of advertising those low cost plans: been on other providers' website recently? None of them has any interest in selling the low cost plans, they want to have as high of an ARPU as possible to keep their shareholders happy.

OldFordFalcom

Interesting, if I log on with my current subscription and click "Change subscription" it show the two cheaper plans at 3G only. I guess you don't actively advertise something that is eventually going away in a few months or will Public Mobile support the 3G plans on the 4G service???

@OldFordFalcom 

in fact, public mobile data speeds are throttled to 3G-like speeds.

Even when they get rid of the 3G network, it will do very little by way of impact to public mobile and its customers..

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It's all about making money for these providers, so you won't see affordable fast data any time soon, at least when it comes to the mandated plans, the providers want to make them as unattractive as possible while making more money, it's a sad reality.

@OldFordFalcom   I am not too worry about that.  Remember 3G plan is NOT 3G network plan but just a 3G speed plan

After the end of 2025, they can still let you use 5G network but give you 3Gbps speed, still a 3G speed plan  🙂

OldFordFalcom

I read online that the big three are phasing out 3G service to make room for the 5G by 2025, you might not have a choice.

OldFordFalcom

Yes, but only 3G, correct? Why not offer something a little better on 4G or have I missed the boat on something. Beside that a lot of folks won't know that 3G is being fazed out by 2025. Also why not put that on the website. I couldn't find a reference to any of this.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@OldFordFalcom 

in the mobile provider business, data is King.

they are likely moving away from limited data plans in favour of medium to larger data allotments

I’ve been on the $15 plan since inception and have no plans to move from it - unless public mobile makes it untenable at some point in the future.

🤞🤞

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @OldFordFalcom 

those are with "samll data package" didn't go away.  PM just didn't post it on the main plan page.  But $15 and $25 plans are both available for plan change and activation

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@OldFordFalcom  

the small data plan, $15 and $25 are still there.  You will see them when you activate

Need Help? Let's chat.