cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Public Mobile

PhilWarner
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is everyone pretty happy with Public Mobile? I am new to it….really wasn’t happy with Fido and made the switch. 

So far, I had an issue with the eSIM, but got it sorted out by buying a physical card off amazon.ca for $4.99. Would have preferred talking to someone as the ticket system is pretty slow, but eventually got things sorted out. 

Compared to Fido, I’m paying a few cents more, but I’m getting 30GB of data (compared to 3GB with Fido) and 5G (instead of 4G). That said, my house is in a non-5G area at the moment. 

4 REPLIES 4

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yup, overall public mobile is pretty good... I've been here since 2015, still on the old rewards system, which I prefer. Several years ago, there were these texts trying to get folks to switch to koodo...I switched my wife over because she needed a phone and the deal seemed great - and there were other differences like VoLTE and wifi calling which made Koodo more reliable on our area - now PM has VoLTE so the difference is insignificant in our area. Last week, we moved her line back to Public Mobile with the current promotions.

There are fewer reasons to go with other carriers now, and in my experience the long term savings are far superior here. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@PhilWarner  also note even if your not in 5G area with phone set to LTE you will still get faster speeds then the 100mbs that comes with a 4G plan being on a 5G plan 

GregStarla
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Public Mobile service is all through online tickets. There are no call centres where you can talk to anyone. Yes it can be a very slow process. 
I live in a 5G service area of Public Mobile and it’s no faster than 3G . So you are not missing out anything there. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@PhilWarner 

welcome aboard. You'll find many ex-Fido'ers here. I think if you give it some time, you'll come to be glad you made the switch. If you do run into issues, come to the Community first for support. Most any issues are corrected with help from Forum members or you'll be directed to the proper resource.

Need Help? Let's chat.