cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to PM

Teezem
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I started the service 2 days ago and here is what I think so far:

Ordering SIM: Very easy and straight forward, received my SIM in 2 days.

Registering my account: I did not port a number as I only ordered a data plan. The process was easy, I followed all the prompts as they were presented and had no issues during the ordering process. Just be patient when its processing your order even if it takes a few minutes or more, eventually it will finalize.

Activation on my phone: Once I received an email from PM letting me know that my account was active I inserted the SIM card into my phone and rebooted it, gave my a phone and the network a few minutes to settle and then tested my connection. Speed was good, connectivity is good indoors and out.

All in all I am happy with the service, the community and information available here for my research before ordering and quite honestly the honesty and openness at which PM runs.

24 REPLIES 24

lol, I have no problem at all with "Public Mobile City Hall".  I come here for phone chitchat, too.

It was really more of a micro-rant about the uselessness of other City Halls, lol.

If I ever have a choice, I'll prefer a title like "Galactic Overlord" over "Mayor".

You know @Korth, some of us enjoy coming here to help out where we can, and chit chat about phone technology and Android vs. iOS vs. (anything really)....

I don't care what my title is.. it's based on algorithems that I know nothing about, and hey, it keeps me busy.

If you have a problem with Public Mobile CIty Hall as you call it, post a suggestion in the Public Lab to deal with it.  Oh wait... scratch that... someone got rid of it.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@  wrote:

The only "downside" is that there's a half-dozen Oracles, and a dozen Mayors, and another dozen Deputy Mayors.

I mean ... that's a lot of people at PM City Hall, lol, and they just come and go and report in and help out whenever they happen to feel like it, good thing they don't get paid out of our tax dollars.

I've only got one Mayor in my City Hall.  Pictures plastered all over the newspapers all the time.  But nothing in this town really gets done, lol.

@Korth

Being a PM mayor is the easiest gig in the world and I wasn't even elected.

They tried to give me a promotion, but I realized I'd actually have to do some work then.  LOL  Smiley LOL

The only "downside" is that there's a half-dozen Oracles, and a dozen Mayors, and another dozen Deputy Mayors.

I mean ... that's a lot of people at PM City Hall, lol, and they just come and go and report in and help out whenever they happen to feel like it, good thing they don't get paid out of our tax dollars.

I've only got one Mayor in my City Hall.  Pictures plastered all over the newspapers all the time.  But nothing in this town really gets done, lol.

Teezem

So its been just over a year since I first joined PM and I have to say that everything has been great!

Any questions I have had have been answered to my satisfaction and the overall service has been very good. Since PM runs within the Telus network I haven't had any real issues with network coverage or any real disruptions. I have for the most part been on a 90/day 6GB Data plan up to this point, no talk or text; in the next month I may be moving to a Talk/Text/Data simply because my needs are changing.

Started out with a 10/day plan to test everything out on a Blackberry Z10 (BB10 OS)

Moved to a 90/day 6GB Plan on the Z10 then moved to Blackberry DTEK 60 (Android 6.0.1)

Will soon move to 90/day plan with Talk/Text and Data

I highly recommend PM if your comfortable with an online support solution, Public Mobile has served me very well for over a year and I believe it can do the same for anyone as well!

Teezem

So its now been just over a month since I began using PM. I have to say that I am very happy with the service, that is the network speed, signal strength and that general aspect of the service. I am also very pleasantly surprised at how great the community support has been and unlike other community boards there is very little in the negative, putting down posts we are generally accustomed to on the internet today.

My service has been great, support great and use of the self serve portal has been fine to this point.

Thank you everyone for your help when it was needed.

PS. The community pages are a nice refresh but somewhat washed out.

Teezem

@Luddite Instructions worked perfectly!!! Easy peasy plan change. Thanks again.

The 10 day trial was obviously a success, moved to a 90 day/6GB data only plan with no issues, no APN changes and didn't even have to reboot my phone. Enjoying my PM experience thus far.

Teezem

@Luddite I will do that, thank you for the valued advice!

@Teezem When you migrate from the 10 day to 30 day plan suggest you:

1. login to your account, make a 1 time payment equal to the plan cost, logout.

2. login again, confirm Available Funds equals plan cost, click Change Plan, pick the plan and click activate now, logout

3. wait a few  minutes, reboot and check service.

Welcome aboard.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Teezem

@neilselden

Drupe is an interesting app, thanks for sharing. I'm currently using a Z10 but I do plan on moving to a DTEK60 sometime in the new year so Drupe isn't really an option at this point Robot Sad

I use an app called Kustom (KLWP) on my android tablet and find I can create the quick screen interactions I need with that and plan on using that on an Android phone when the time comes.

I will check out that app though, again thanks!

Cheers.

neilselden
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Thanks @Teezem,

I'm like you in that sense.  I'm technical and enjoy puttering around to find a good solution.

I've started using the Drupe Dialer which lets you select which dialing method you want to use by dragging a contact onto the appropriate app icon.  I find it to be an easy way to manage multiple contact methods.

Drupe does not do everything I want, however... I'm actually working on an alternative app that serves a similar function but would be easier to use and a lot slimmer.

Cheers,

Neil

Teezem

@neilselden, I mostly use Fongo for phone calls and TextNow for texting and occasionally others, they can be a drain at times but I typically get a full days charge. If needed I would choose a 20000 mAh or something similar for my battery needs as opposed to paying an extra $500+ a year for Tele/Text services.

It really comes down to what you are willing to put up with, some people like using their phone's dialer and some people could care less, others may not want the hassle of faster battery drain, it really comes down to personal preference. For me I am highly technical, do my research and find I am more than happy combining the best from all worlds.

Teezem

@makkahn28

In that case you might be better off just getting a local SIM and a temporary throwaway plan. Cheap short term plans are a dime a dozen in the states, personally that is what I would choose.

If I was staying over a longer period then I might decide to upgrade my plan to accomidate my new requirements. 

Though I never tried, I think it's a wonderful Idea, BUT here's kicker

IF, lets say U go to US and require a Add-On Roam, U need a Talk Plan to use the US Roam Add-On minimum

neilselden
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Teezem,

Which apps do you use?  Do you find that having data on constantly drains your battery to a large degree?

I've been playing around with Fongo, TextNow and Hangouts Dialer.  Not bad overall, in my opinion but I am hesitant to give them a full try as I really like having my battery last for 2+ days...

Cheers,

Neil

Rockdaddy22
🙂

Teezem

Thank you @SD08, a little positivity some times can go a long way and we can all use a little of that. When theres good to boast about it should be applauded. Not everything in life has to be trolled, it can also be strolled.

@Teezem awesome glad to hear that PM will be able to provide you with what you need

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

SD08

It's good to see posts of positive start up experiences. We don't see enough of these because it's the customers who had problems who are more naturally inclined to post.

Welcome to the Public Mobile family!  Smiley Happy

Teezem

@makkahn28 I definitely see the benefits, its part of the reason why I choose PM.

@makkahn28 @ShawnC13 At the moment I went with the 10 day/500MB plan, just wanted to test things out first and make sure all was well with my phone, the connection and overall experience, I then plan to go to the 6GB/90 day plan, no talk or text. I use apps for those services and they serve me well at this point.

Also, @Teezem what Plan's has U fascinated? and the 90 Days, or 30?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Great to hear more positive experiences.  Do you plan to just use PM for data or will it become your complete mobile provider in the future?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

That's great to hear.

Hoping U can see the benefits as well

Need Help? Let's chat.