cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone

Snmcinnes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a new phone (to replace an Apple phone) just unlocked from freedom mobile and I have put my public Mobile Sim in. I can make phone calls but only some people get my text messages, and picture texts do not download and say generic network failure. Do I need to get my new imei attached to my account?

9 REPLIES 9

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Snmcinnes 

• ensure MMS is enabled
  • Maybe try a reset of the Network Settings of the phone.

I do not notice the "s" model in the frequency checker website. Only the 2 listed below.

It you had a choice to use a different phone, I feel that might be best.

HTC Desire 626

esjliv_0-1618699836737.png

HTC Desire 626G

esjliv_1-1618699929407.png

Actually the "s" does look better:

esjliv_0-1618700362324.png

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Snmcinnes wrote:

Messages it don't get are short.  The settings is messaging are not the same but I do not see anything similar. New phone is HTC desire 626s xxxxxxxxx. Does it need to be public mobile enabled?

When you say the messaging settings are not the same, can you edit your settings so they are the same?  Once your settings are updated, turn your phone Off + On again and see if that makes a difference.

@Snmcinnes  we dont know need to know your IMEI.. please click on the 3 dots to update the post and delete it.

it's a public forum and it's dangerous to post information like IMEI , phone number, etc

Also, is this new PM account just activated today or yesterday?

Snmcinnes

Messages it don't get are short.  The settings is messaging are not the same but I do not see anything similar. New phone is HTC desire 626s imei xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Does it need to be public mobile enabled?

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you're replacing an Apple phone, perhaps we should clarify what your New Phone is (make/model)?  Also, if some people get your text messages, are you receiving short non-picture texts from others?

When people don't get your text messages, are your messages long (ie. more than 160 characters)?  Short text messages generally go out as SMS Text messages.  However, longer text messages (161+ characters) may go out as MMS messages.

SMS Text messages are basically a network-driven service so you wouldn't need data, although MMS (picture) texts may need data enabled and configured properly.  For general settings with Data on your phone, here are some settings for you (with general instructions on accessing the APN settings)...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

See if that helps to fix your problem.  If you let us know the exact make/model phone, we may have some other ideas for you too.  🙂

@Snmcinnes 

If calling works, but texting doesn't, check your devices iMessage settings (or Chat settings if it's an Android device) that you replaced the Apple iPhone with.

Turn either the iMessage or the Chat settings OFF completely, then try texting.

EDIT:

For Android:

1. click Messaging app, 
  2. click 3 little dots top right, 
  3. select Settings, 
  4. under Chat settings, scroll to "Select default messaging type", 
  5. toggle it to Automatic or Text/multimedia msg

For Apple:

1. tap the Settings app and
  2. tap Messages
  3. turning iMessage off by toggling the switch to grey from green.

Snmcinnes

Yes data is on.

Snmcinnes
Yes data is on.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Snmcinnes wrote:

I have a new phone (to replace an Apple phone) just unlocked from freedom mobile and I have put my public Mobile Sim in. I can make phone calls but only some people get my text messages, and picture texts do not download and say generic network failure. Do I need to get my new imei attached to my account?

Make certain that your data is enabled on the new phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.