cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sim, old phone

Crissyzucc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi! I have a spare sim.  I'd like to use it in my phone as the one I currently have is super old and I think it's causing me to not be able to download at 5g speeds.  Do I need to register the SIM or is just updating it in my profile and inserting it enough??

5 REPLIES 5

Jedi1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If your phone is older, it may not be capable of 5G.  My son has an SE 2020 for example and he uses LTE on the 5G plan since he can’t set his phone to 5G. 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

If you have a spare sim that's new, just login to your account, hit the +, then go to Profile, then go down to SIM and select the pencil icon to edit the SIM number.

As others have said though, it's unlikely to solve your problem. What phone are you using?

Crissyzucc

I'm having issues as I have a 5g olan, but in my connection setting it doesn't list 5g as an option.  Only 4g, 3g, etc.  I read somewhere that old sims are sometimes the problem.  

jc90

Should work, but it also depends on the phone, whether its unlocked, how old it is, etc. Doesnt hurt to insert and try though! 

@Crissyzucc wrote:

Hi! I have a spare sim.  I'd like to use it in my phone as the one I currently have is super old and I think it's causing me to not be able to download at 5g speeds.  Do I need to register the SIM or is just updating it in my profile and inserting it enough??

The new SIM card only needs to be attached by using your Self Serve account.  However, it's unlikely to fix any service issues.

Need Help? Let's chat.