cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Public Mobile customer

jgorman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Hi I've order my SIM card and am just waiting for it to arrive. Wanted to get some feedback or anything people can help me with that I should know when I go to set up my account. I'm coming from Wind mobile and will be porting my number also.
Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

eazybelle

@jheili99 That makes total sense. I didn't think about that. Unfortunately with the overload of new customers, response times from mods are more than 48 hours.

One thing you can try... is to PM a mod and ask them to do the port for you. Give them all the information they need. I think others have done this. I, myself, was going to do this as I was also very nervous making the transition. Luckily I had no issues - ported at 7.30am today. So far, I am happy with the service. Feels no different from when I was with Koodo, as expected.

jgorman
Loving all the comments so far. Thanks.
Any body not been happy with the service once they are up and running.

BowChickaBowWow
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Then get a 10 day deal on a new number while you make sure that you get the service that you need, i.e., do you have coverage, have data, calls, text etc., and once you confirm it all, go ahead and port the number.

If you are worried about the port, there is always a risk of delay, but I am sure PM mods and the community will try their best. Some people are waiting until the initial surge of applicants is more or less over, and perhaps try the port later on this month. That could be a double edged sword as the number of port requests might just shoot up. So you never know!

Also keep in mind, that you are hearing from people who are having issues, and not from those whose port / activation / service just started working. It might look overwhelmingly negative reading the support forums, and that is the very nature of the beast, but it is good to keep perspective as well.

HTH.

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@eazybelle no offense taken Smiley Very Happy ..but if he needs the phone for work but is off on weekends, than do it weekends as you now have the entire weekend time to deal with it ...just to be safe.....

having said that: if the port doesn't go fully trough you will be able to call and send text with your PM phone, but all incoming will still got to your wind number..... so if that is the case you would have just to run around with 2 phones for a short while...

BowChickaBowWow

You need a different email beause, PM is a subsidiary of Telus, and so is Koodoo. If you use the same email address, it is possible for the system to "get confused" as to which account you are referring to (Koodo, Telus, or PM). For that reason, if you have gmail, you can use the "." trick; i.e., firstlast@gmail.com is the same as first.last@gmail.com I am not sure if this works for hotmai, yahoo, etc. so test and find out.

If there is anything else, let me know.

jgorman
That's my biggest fear. That I go to port and I have to wait days like Ive read some people have had to do. I can't be days without my phone.
My main reason for leaving wind to try PM is well the price is the same but having LTE will be huge from winds 3G. I was with Rogers prior to wind. But for half the price of Rogers I could deal with the 3G speeds.

BowChickaBowWow

Hello @jgorman

I think most of your questions have already been answered, but I will take a stab:

Existing Customers Step by Step (author @alexzxn ) is a great guide that can be adapted for new customers too

New customer porting information (Author @Val_T) is a good start  (thanks @imcphers )

IOS APN Settings (author @Val_T )

Knowledge Base Article on APN Settings (author @Mansi_G )

If that does not work, search the forums, we need to help ourselves, and not rely on the overworked mods for every little thing.

If all else fails, you can contact the mods according to the following:

Contat the community mods (author @Jeremy_M )

Private Message to a Mod (author @Mary_M )

If that fails, there is always email, but I will let you search for it 🙂

Hope that helps!

eazybelle

Try porting either early, early morning or late at night (maybe after 11pm) when the website isn't flooded with others signing up and porting. I don't think it matters whether it's a weekday or weekend (no offense jheili99 :)). I would have thought it'd be rather busy on a weekend.

As for your iPhone, turn the phone off, insert the SIM, and turn it back on. If your data doesn't work because of the APN settings, it's not too hard to change. 

jgorman
I'm on the latest.
I've read that some people have not had to add apn settings and it just updates itself one way you put in your SIM card. Is this true or will I have to manually put everything in myself?

jheili99

yes....you are good to go....just make sure you have the newest IOS installed as some people had issues setting up their APN settings which was resolved after the ios update.....

jgorman
I have an IPhone 6 Plus. So I believe I'm good to go in that respect. Let me know if I'm wrong.

jheili99

hi..

other then maybe try to port over the weekend if you have weekends off ...couple of our moderators also work weekends .......

other thing with wind: you really want to make sure your phone is compatible....wind works on a different super crappy frequency, so i would suggest to maybe post your make and model to the community and i'm pretty sure one of us will have the same phone and can 100% confirm...

cheers and welcome......bye-bye wind...lol...

jgorman
Any other tips keep them coming. I use my phone for work so can't go without. aonim a little nervous

jgorman
Ok I will use a different email then just to be safe.

eazybelle

Koodo and Public Mobile use the same database. So if you have an account with Koodo using abc@gmail.com and you use this same email to make an account with Public Mobile, the port will fail. 

I also would recommend to use another email to sign up to reduce the chances of unsuccessful ports. You can easily change the login email after the port went through. That's what I did.

jheili99

hi..

when i came from wind i used the same email for my first line... and got also trouble porting.....that's why i'm saying not to do that just to eliminate possible complications....not to say there won't be any complications, but at least we could rule out this as a potenial problem....Smiley Wink

jgorman
Thanks
But why a different email.
What's the reason for that?
Thanks

eazybelle

With Wind, you don't have to use a different email but I would just in case. With Koodo and Telus, you should definitely use a different email.

jheili99

Hi...

although some people don't have any problems with porting, many do at the moment....so it actually is better to just activate with a new number and once that is set up ( maybe couple days after you tested ) you can do the port .... important that you do NOT use the same emails address you used for Wind to open a PM account ...use a different email account .....i came from Wind too and now have 3 lines with PM .....

also make sure your phone is fully compatible as well as unlocked ....( if a phone is locked to Telus or Koodo that is ok...that would work with PM )

you do not have to cancel Wind.... once the port is completed, the Wind account will automatically close.... you don't even need to call them......

cheers

eazybelle

Hey jgorman,

These are the steps I took:

1. Got to https://activate.publicmobile.ca to activate the SIM and to create an account

2. Choose a new number

3. Pay

You can then try the service and see how you like it. I then ported over using my account number, IMEI for the decide I'm using, and the PIN code for my account with Koodo. Since I was with Koodo, it was recommended to activate with a new number before porting. You probably don't have to do this and can port right away without getting a new number first. 

Need Help? Let's chat.