cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi Community, 

I am looking at purchasing a new phone. Which route did you go? I prefer not to do Kijiji or Ebay as I have been almost scammed on the sites Thank you 🙂

13 REPLIES 13

bridonca

I would respectfully disagree.  These are legal ways to get a good phone for a good price, and everyone wins.   

Koodo has been doing this for years, and will continue to do so, because it is good business.  This is one of the best ways for Koodo to dump excess inventory.  Let us say they buy 100000 phones to get a good price, but can only sell 80000 of them, they already made their money.  The rest, they can sell for a fire sale price, for limited profit, or they could dump them on PC Mobile, Walmart, or Wow Mobile.  And Koodo still makes money!  If they gain a Koodo customer for a while, that is gravy.  If a Public Mobile Customer snags it, Telus still makes money!   

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Wow, this forum is really getting out of hand.  We are now discussing phone churning on a sister brand.  What next?

bridonca

If you do get a Koodo phone from WOW mobile, you are obligated to stick with Koodo for 90 days, that is how these kiosk vendor get their income.  So that is close to $100 extra with the $28 plan and SIM card. 

I have heard you can cancel on day one, and pay off the tab.  I do not recommend that.  There is a good chance you will not be able to deal with these vendors again,  sticking around for 90 days is how they make their money, after all.

I churned a few phones though WOW and the Mobile Shop.   They know me, they know what I do, and I still get repeat business from them.  

brent_liza

If I go to WOW can i purchase outright and still get the free prepaid cards or do you have to sign a contract?

Used phones: https://www.getorchard.com?afmc=2zl 3 happy purchasers I know personally.

But I second Koodo especially combined with offers at WOW Mobile (Vanilla prepaid Mastercard) or The Mobile Shop (Loblaws Optimum Points). In last 2 months I picked up iPhone SE for $135 and iPhone 8 for $650 net cost.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

bridonca

Loblaws has a decent selection of prepaid phones.  You can pick any carrier phone there, because all the prepaid phones are unlocked and will work with Public Mobile.  The Moto G5 and ZTE Axon Mini are decent phones, under $180, and can be had cheaper, if you wait for a sale or a tax free sale.  http://www.pcmobile.ca/prepaid_phones.jsp

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Best way to get a phone is from Koodo. If you know someone who is on Koodo, add a line and get phone on a tab. If you cancel, you only pay the tab. Koodo puts crazy deals often. Just last weekend, S8 was for $250. 

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@brent_liza wrote:

When you bought from Best Buy do they charge you carrier price or a different price? I was looking and each company has, for instance, an LG G6 different priced all within a 100$ difference.

The phone I purchased was unlocked, so it was not locked to a specific carrier. It was actually from a Best Buy Marketplace seller - JP Mobiles. I bought a Sony Xperia XZ premium android smartphone from them. The unlocked phone prices can definitely vary from different sellers. 

cmatassa

@brent_liza you would need to buy the phone not associated with a carrier.

brent_liza

@MacMe I was thinking of a Blackberry Android or I know people will bash a windows based phone lol

brent_liza

When you bought from Best Buy do they charge you carrier price or a different price? I was looking and each company has, for instance, an LG G6 different priced all within a 100$ difference.

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Are you looking for an Android phone or iPhone?  What is your budget?

If you are looking for an Android phone, the Moto G5 is $180 and frequently goes on sale for $140 or less.

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@brent_liza

I would suggest Amazon or Best Buy. I bought my phone unlocked online from Best Buy.  

Need Help? Let's chat.