cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone : my 11 year old daughter receiving inappropriate messages - how to get a new phone number

pbst2000
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I have bought a new phone for my 11 year old daughter.

on the phone number  constatly receiving either calls or text messages of in apporairates natures

I want to get a new phone number

what is the process 

Please help 

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

pbst2000
yes that is what I have been doing

sujan197
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If it is same number that you are getting calls then just block that number in your phone. I had same issue and do not to change number. This help me for now..i had to block almost three numbers.

pbst2000

Thanks

pbst2000

Ya

LOL that is also I am scared off

I belive service prodiver need to step up . Put some tighter control to aviod the situation such as this

Kids at early age getting the phone and it is not fare to them

pbst2000

thanks

I will try this

pbst2000

Thanks to each and everyone for their time to respond and providing resolution to the matter

pbst2000

thanks

It is an Android phone

@kav2001c wrote:

@krazykiwi

I do not think that is relevant anymore

I have been swapping SIMs in iPhones with no issues whatsoever

Public to Freedom to Koodo to Telus

Different area codes and numbers

iMessage still works fine

?

Maybe this was an issue on older version of IOS?

I was just giving the instructions for TMS post. 

If you are switching from iphone to android you may run into problems when other people with iphones text you and the imessage system still thinks it is an imessage phone number. 

When changing numbers it will not have any affect on your phone or new number but it will affect the next person to get the number you are replacing for the same reasons. IAW apple support!

Edit: The published date on the support message is Sep17, 2018

@krazykiwi

I do not think that is relevant anymore

I have been swapping SIMs in iPhones with no issues whatsoever

Public to Freedom to Koodo to Telus

Different area codes and numbers

iMessage still works fine

?

Maybe this was an issue on older version of IOS?

@TMS wrote:

@pbst2000 wrote:

Hi

on the phone number  constatly receiving either calls or text messages of in apporairates natures

what is the process 

Please help 

Thanks

if iphone, u need to deregister apple account.

Here's the instructions, it is the same for changing numbers too:

Deregister iMessage on your iPhone

If you still have your iPhone, you can deregister iMessage with these steps:

1. If you transferred your SIM card from your iPhone to a non-Apple phone, put it back in your iPhone.
  2. Make sure that you're connected to your cellular data network.
  3. Tap Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.

Theknight

changing number should help; yes it’s as mentioned above, go to your self serve account and change the phone number. Just keep in mind you are allowed to change the number once every 30 days and it’s free .

All the best 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@pbst2000 wrote:

Hi

what is the process 

Please help 

Thanks

Login to your selfserve, on theh right hand side of the overview page there is  My Profile.  Under there you select change number, then just select a new number.  You will then be asked for your province and city through drop downs.  Remember you can only change numbers once ever 30 days.  Initial setup does not count against this number.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@pbst2000 wrote:

Hi

what is the process 

Please help 

Thanks

Login to your selfserve, on theh right hand side of the overview page there is  My Profile.  Under there you select change number, then just select a new number.  Youw ill then be asked for your province and city through drop downs.  Remember you can only change numbers once ever 30 days.  Initial setup does not count against this number.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@pbst2000 wrote:

Hi

what is the process 

Please help 

Thanks

if iphone, u need to deregister phone # associated with apple.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@pbst2000 I had a similar problem when I got this current number. Constantly got bill collectors looking for this same guy all the time. Finally answered a few of the calls and now I am good. I realize this is not the same situation considering the nature of the calls and the age of your daughter. If it is the same number you could always block it but if it is differnet numbers you are probably best changing. (not to say the next one will be better..LOL)

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You may request a new number by logging into Self Serve => Right column "My Profile" => Change number. If applicable, please report this incident to your local law enforcement agency.

If this solves your question, please select my reply as Solution!

Need Help? Let's chat.