cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix text 'spam' on my Public Mobile

Ted_Sheldon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Netflix is part of my Telus account. I have received three Public Mobile text messages (spam?) over the past couple of days telling me that "Your netflix service connected to xxxxxxxxxx have been locked due to a payment error please confirm your personal data xxxxxxxxxxxx". I have not attempted to open this site. Could you kindly advice me (xxxxxxxxxxxxxx): 1/ who to inform to resolve this spam; and/or 2/ how to address?

edited by computetgeek541:  removed perdonal information and link to phishing website.

13 REPLIES 13

Ted_Sheldon

Thanks again, Korth.  I'm sure there are others that appreciate the additional insights as well.

Yes, we let all unfamiliar phone calls go to voicemail (but, of course, they rarely leave a message), and we don't open suspicious emails, and certainly NOT the website they direct us to.  This (Netflix spam) was the first such one I've received on my cell phone.......and yet another one this morning.  I'll follow up with the sites you've recommended above. 😀

@Ted_Sheldon wrote:

... the obvious questions becomes what are the tool(s) that the average consumer can access to 'fight spam ourselves' ...

I put my number on the Canadian DNCL and the American DNCR. It won't stop criminals who already ignore laws anyhow. It doesn't stop so-called "random" autodial calls in the real world. But less trash is less trash. Screw the telemarketers and advertisers, if I want to buy their thing I'll call them.

https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

https://www.donotcall.gov/

I'll report apparent fraud attempts which mention my banks or accounts. Or, rather, I'll forward a copy to them, say it looks phishy, and inquire if it's legit - such evidence is immediately useful to them.

I don't answer calls or respond to texts - or ever click on any images, links, attachments - from unknown numbers.

Never ever. Once they see the lure jiggle around a little they know there's a fish in the water.

If it's important (to them) then they'll leave a message describing the subject and providing proper information about how to contact them. If it's truly urgent (to them) - and they're actually people who matter instead of scammers, spammers, and salesmen - then they'll know or look for other ways to contact me.

Ted_Sheldon

Indeed, likely prudent advice not to rely solely on government, but then the obvious questions becomes what are the tool(s) that the average consumer can access to 'fight spam ourselves', and why wouldn't the social media companies conveying such spam not be required to equip their 'users' with such a toolkit............?

Ah, so you too get that same annoying Chinese lady?!

Thx again, Korth.

@umnikke8 wrote:

If you keep getting them from the same number you can report them https://fightspam.gc.ca

This is good advice.

But it is also much less effective than it should be. "Thank you for your submission. We'll look into it."

A lot of confident talk and reassuring promises. Not a lot of actual results. You're better off "fighting" spam yourself, not relying on some lofty half-disinterested government agency to do it for you.

They couldn't get that annoying Chinese lady to stop calling my voicemail.

Ted_Sheldon

Yes, repeated texts.  Thanks for this practical resource.  Will pursue.  😀

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you keep getting them from the same number you can report them https://fightspam.gc.ca

Ted_Sheldon

Thx for taking the time to respond.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Ted_Sheldon 

if not real message and why you do care so much just ignore and delete it.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

I have Netflix as part of my Telus TV too. Never any texts from them!! And they don't call me either. 

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ted_Sheldon hi you are on a open forum ,you shouldn't be so careless with your email, a lot of  us receive that netflix crap it is a problem across all telcos not just public ,my neighbour is on bell she gets them my son is on koodo he gets that message  I think I received it 3 times in the last month on Public so it is what it is you can help your self by being a little more careful  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Perhaps if you didn't spread your personal information around you might be able to reduce incidences of spam reception. Good of the admin to catch it so quickly.

I would ignore it. Spam happens. First world problem.

There's no one that you need to contact. The senders of the message are trying to steal your information.  Do not go to that website.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Ted_Sheldon you are not helping yourself by posting your email and phone number in an open forum

Those spam texts come all the time, it is not like Telus or PM exposed you number or anything they can do to stop it

just delete the message 

Need Help? Let's chat.