cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous to switch to PM

Little-Squash
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So just wanted to say I was literally just looking at the step 3 in porting my number an putting in all the required information when suddenly nervousness hit hard an I just stood there 

What if it doesn't work, what will I do if something goes wrong will I be able to go back if something messes up an would I lose my number? all these thoughts when through my head in a mater of minutes.

I want to join but I also don't know how I will get over my anxiety to switch lol

9 REPLIES 9

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Deniron 

Nice to see some kind words being shared around here! 💙

OP mentioned in a later thread that they did indeed switch over to PM recently 🙂

Deniron
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello. I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way when I switched. If you can bring your anxiety to a controlled level, and get the process done, you won't be disappointed. I didn't find the process difficult because I noted that there were quite a number of "Community Members" ready and willing to assist. Losing a number would have been a disaster to me, since, all my contacts, doctors, dentists, bank, and friends have my number and I would have freaked out for sure, but, you know what, everything went rather smoothly and my anxiety dropped almost immediately on subscribing. I hope this helps a bit. Happy switching! 

dna2016

@Little-Squash No need to be nervous, porting has been around since like 2005. All companies can have porting issues, it happens. I have yet to hear a scenario where someone actually lost their phone number.  Not saying it can't happen (I really don't know), but I've never heard of that happening. Typically porting can be very quick, in that it can take 10 minutes, but there are times where it won't successfully port until about 24 hours. There are cases where some features work and others are a bit delayed, example your outbound calls will work immediately but your inbound will work a couple hours later.  Something like this is not uncommon and happens to all service providers. I've ported maybe 4 times all together and had porting delays twice, I knew it could happen and just remained patient. One of the times I had to make adjustments to my phone settings to get me data service to work (that was when I switched over to PM), and there was plenty of support from the community to provide the details on what I needed to update.

So I would say if you're looking to switch and it's worth it to you to switch, just realize that you may need to be a bit patient for everything to work. Make sure you you enter all the required information on the activation screen (don't rush through it, review the screen a couple times before you hit next), don't hit refresh, don't go back and forward on pages, make sure you set aside time and don't get pre-occupied doing other things and then your screen goes idle (all this can disrupt the activation process).  Make sure you have the proper information needed to port your phone number (e.g. existing providers account number), have it ready before you start the activation process.  You have to essentially pretend that you're the customer service/sales rep activating the phone, stay focused on the task and generally you'll be just fine.  😁

If something does happen you do have support in this community forum as well as PM

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Little-Squash  there is really very slight chance that it goes wrong and you loss you number

the worst scenario people with porting is that they didn't reply YES from the original provider and then the number never leave the original provider and account still there.  So, in your case, worst scenario is that the number stay with Telus and your Telus account still open 

So, no worry.  If you decide to leave Telus, just go.

After you activate and while you are waiting for the number to come over, your PM sim should be working well with outgoing calls and text, just not incoming

Then  Telus will  send you a text  for your permission to port the number, you just need to reply YES within 90 mins

After you replied YES, just keep reboot your phone every 30 minutes until you can receive the incoming calls with PM

I suggest you to do it tomorrow late morning.  Worst case, you can call Telus/PM porting team (PM shares the same team with Telus) and ask for status or help

Hey, you know Telus owns PM, right?  So, you are basically using the same solid Telus network but likely paying less

mitchnet12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

When I ported over a few years ago from a company that isn't affiliated with Telus, it worked fairly quickly. I have been with PM for a few years and haven't looked back.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Little-Squash 

It is pretty simple to port over to PM as long as all the steps are done in order:

1. Activate the PM SIM online…double check the SIM number before going to the next step.

2. Wait for a text to confirm with YES with your old SIM in the phone within 90 minute window…don’t wait to reply.

3. Power off your phone and swap the SIM then power on your phone.

If you are still feel that there might that you can’t do it. Just go to London Drugs, Walmart, Mobile Shop or a PM retailer. 
Some retailers may give you a free SIM.

Remember to make note of the email address, PIN number, password etc so you won’t run into problems login to your Self Serve account.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Little-Squash wrote:

So just wanted to say I was literally just looking at the step 3 in porting my number an putting in all the required information when suddenly nervousness hit hard an I just stood there 

What if it doesn't work, what will I do if something goes wrong will I be able to go back if something messes up an would I lose my number? all these thoughts when through my head in a mater of minutes.

I want to join but I also don't know how I will get over my anxiety to switch lol

@Little-Squash  - I am sure you can do it. But I know if you have been with a provider for a long time, it can be a big change/step to move on.

Step one, check that your number is portable to Public Mobile (yes, it says Koodo, that's okay. Telus owns Koodo and Public Mobile):

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

Note about porting:

Cell phone ports can take 2-3 hours to complete. Wait for the port authorization TEXT to be sent to you from your old provider before you take out your old SIM card.

Landline/voip ports can take 3+ days to complete

Using the other cell provider's SIM you should be still receiving calls on it, until the port completes.

Make sure you do not cancel your previous provider's services.

Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Little-Squash I recommend you activate with a brand new number instead of porting in your current number. Verify all is good before you request to port in your number from the self-serve account. As long as your current line is active and you provide correct info (ie ph number and account number), it should port in just fine. You might have to reply to a text message when you request to port in. 

0PX9O4

@Little-Squash 

Switching over is the hard part. Once you are a PM customer, you will not usually need a lot of customer service, which is PM's weakest part.

If you are looking for savings on your phone usage, this is the best way to go. You won't regret it.

Need Help? Let's chat.