cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needs for visiting the US

nickyandjudy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi -- I'm going to be traveling in the US for a couple of weeks and would like to use my phone for both phone and texting. No data needed. What do i need to add to my plan? (I currently have Canada wide calls and unlimited international texts but i think that's if I'm in Canada). I'd like to be able to call & text people in the US while in the US and also call from the US to Canada. Do i need a different SIM card? (phone neophyte here :)) Thanks!!

13 REPLIES 13

@nickyandjudy wrote:

Hi -- I'm going to be traveling in the US for a couple of weeks and would like to use my phone for both phone and texting. No data needed. What do i need to add to my plan? (I currently have Canada wide calls and unlimited international texts but i think that's if I'm in Canada). I'd like to be able to call & text people in the US while in the US and also call from the US to Canada. Do i need a different SIM card? (phone neophyte here :)) Thanks!!

Public Mobile offers service while roaming in the U.S. if you purchase a romaing add-on.  Please review the avaialble U.S. roaming add-ons at:   Plans (publicmobile.ca)

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@nickyandjudy 

Yes, the International calling only works if you make a call from Canada.

You will need to purchase a US Roaming calling and texting for $15/10 days with the PM SIM in your phone.

Remember to manual connect your Cellular Network to AT&T or T-Mobile while you are down in the US.

9C7978EE-F1D4-48F7-AD09-7CA3F1222F4A.jpeg

nickyandjudy

Hi - Thanks for this! I hate to say it, but i'm such a neophyte that i don't actually know what roaming means? And how would i manual connect your Cellular Network to AT&T or T-Mobile? Thanks for your patience 🙂

@nickyandjudy  - Roaming just means outside your normal service area. So Public Mobile inmarket plans are for use whilst you are in Canada.

And there are also regular addons you can purchase for other services (calling to other countries and such) for use whilst you are in Canada.

But, for services while you are in the USA you need ROAMING addons for service to work (incoming texts are the exception, as they currently work with any active Public Mobile plan while in the USA).

Note, ROAMING addons only last for 10 days once you successfully add them to your account. So only add them right before you go or when you are in the USA.

See the ROAMING addon options in your self serve account here: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/ChangePlanLandingPage/?PageRedirect=Redi...

It may vary by model, but to change the cellular network:

1. Navigate to your phone's Settings.
  2. Navigate to Cellular / Mobile networks
  3. Select Cellular Data Options / Network operators
  4. Select Cellular Data Network / un-select automatically and see providers listed
  5. Return to the previous screen. Your changes will be saved automatically.

@nickyandjudy 

Roaming allows PM customers to utilize the AT&T and T-Mobile towers based on the agreement between PM and the American cell carriers.

What make and model is your phone so we can help with the Cellular Network setting?

nickyandjudy

Thanks so much! My phone is an iPhone 6s Plus.

@nickyandjudy   the 10 Day US Roaming Talk / Text options are operational for 240 hours from the time you purchase. I suggest you load sufficient $$ in Available Funds to cover cost for the add-on you want. Then when you get to the first community in US...find a wifi spot like at Walmart or Starbucks. Most diners, motels and resorts have free wifi now, you might just have to ask for the password. Then, you can log in to your PM account and buy the roaming add-on you want. Restart the phone and you should be good to go for 10 days (240 hours).

edit....phonics !

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@nickyandjudy    Not sure this was answered earlier, but no you don't need a different SIM card if you are using the roaming options from PM.  That would only apply if you went with a local (US) service while you were in the US and the PM roaming options weren't adequate for your travel needs.

nickyandjudy

Thanks!!