cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with calling in the US

nickyandjudy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi -- My partner has our cell phone in the US right now and i bought her a US roaming unlimited talk plan this morning. She has rebooted the phone, enabled roaming, and selected At&T but there is still no service. I know there are areas in the US where service will no longer be available but i'm just wondering if that's the issue. Where it would normally say "Public Mobile" with some bars, it now says "no service" even though the roaming is on and she has selected At&T. Thoughts?

thanks,

Nicky

10 REPLIES 10

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@nickyandjudy 

If you have purchased the US Roaming talk add on and your wife still cannot get service despite being connected to at&t or T-Mobile its possible that there is no 3G service in her area. The workaround for voice call service in the US is to use a voip provider. Have your wife download on wifi either the text now or fongo* app. Have her choose a canadian phone # and test it out by calling you. Once she is all set up purchase a US Roaming data add on.

Now she can make and recieve voice calls on her voip provider phone # on both wifi and mobile data. She can recieve text messages on her pm phone number regardless of having any US Roaming add on. She can also send and recieve text messages on the voip provider app (*fongo charges a fee for outgoing texts....but has far fewer ads to deal with as a result.)

You can then contact customer support and explain that the US Roaming talk add on had no service and ask for a credit to the account.

@nickyandjudy...

let's start at beginning again. You paid $8 for the 10 Day US Talk  add-on ...correct ? Remember it's a 2 step process to get those add-ons. First add $$ to Available Funds...then go and "buy" the selected add-on. To confirm....log in to your account. Then under Account Status, look for Plan Detail....if loaded successfully, you should see mention of the add-on under My Add-ons.

Hi @nickyandjudy your wife might need to check in another area and see if TMobile is a choice

AT&T started turning off 3G in some area and that would affect voice.  But some area, AT&T still has 3G.  TMobile still has 3G in most area.

nickyandjudy

Thanks 🙂

You can remove the solution, probably need to click the down arrow and edit..

nickyandjudy

I did not mean to accept this as a solution! I hope i get other responses.

@nickyandjudy    So she doesn't see T-Mobile available when looking for networks? 

edit:  here's a link to US roaming and maybe some options to try:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/get-help/articles/us-roaming

nickyandjudy

T Mobile is not an option offered on the phone at the moment.

nickyandjudy

yes.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@nickyandjudy   Have her try T-Mobile instead.

edit:  BTW, you did select the roaming add-on and not the US LD calling add-on?

Need Help? Let's chat.