cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice about getting the best service out of my iphone 8 for local sailing trips

d-c
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Right now I have a minimal phone/data plan which works when I am at home.  In fact I have plenty of data available. My plan is 3G.  On a recent trip I discovered that I could stream BBC but couldn't get downloads for podcasts or Libby.  I believe I had wifi turned on (although I don't know if that made a difference).  Somewhere like Montague Harbour is very sheltered and communication is limited and intermittent and I couldn't use any of my weather apps but maybe that would be true for a fancier phone and plan?

As you can tell I am pretty ignorant about all this.  I just appear to need to upgrade my plan perhaps through the sailing season.

Any help very much appreciated.  Thanks so much.

3 REPLIES 3

@Rastin wrote:

If your on the 25$ 3g 1 gig plan you should change it to the 19$ 4g 1 gig plan and save some money and get better speed.

I agree that paying $6 less would be good for custoemrs, but I do not believe that speed is all that much of factor when the plan only includes 1GB.

Rastin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If your on the 25$ 3g 1 gig plan you should change it to the 19$ 4g 1 gig plan and save some money and get better speed.

@d-c 

Montague Harbour has both 4G and 5G coverage.  However, it is close to US, maybe your phone was set to Auto Network connection and your phone was not locking down on the Public Mobile network.  

If you go back to Montague Harbour, change Network connection to Manual and choose Public Mobile and the phone would stay connected

Need Help? Let's chat.