cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO network service/connection

Maltcan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just returned from the US but my phone still indicates that I am still there. I am in Canada now but I am not able to get any call service. I still receive messages from Public asking me to purchase US roaming services.

18 REPLIES 18

Maltcan

Thank you. I have tried most options but will try your contact information to see if I can re-engage with the support team

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Maltcan  - i recall a couple of other customers saying they were out of Canada using other SIMs when away. And when they returned they were having issues with the Public Mobile SIM when they came back.

I don't remember if there was an actual fix or solution other than swapping out the SIM card with another SIM, but that does not seem right.

Can you try your Public Mobile SIM card into another compatible phone, restart the phone with the SIM inside. Then see if services work? If not, I would submit a ticket with CSA to check the account on their end. 

OH, and also is your self serve account saying ACTIVE status? Make sure of that first of course.

If issues persist, submit a ticket to CSA for assistance.

To contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Last resort is to do a sim swap, but I don't know why this should be needed.

See "How To Change Your SIM Card" at the bottom of this Help Article: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/sim-swap-fraud

@Maltcan wrote:

I am close to the border but I don't see any mobile networks on my phone.  Thanks

Most likely phone is picking up US roaming network. I would remove SIM for a few minutes and reboot phone to give it a chance to connect to Canadian provider. Reset network might help too for phone to realize it is in Canada now.

HI @Maltcan  was your PM always in your phone when you were in US or you used SIM from another US provider when you were there?

Maltcan

Hi Update is done. I am using Android 8.1. Under Network I now show Mobile network type "unknown". Service state "Out of service" and Mobile network state "Disconnected". I don't have another unlocked phone so I cannot try the SIM card in another phone right now.

Thanks again

HI @Maltcan   try to do a Network Reset after the system update 

Maltcan

Hi Its an LG Rebel 4. The android system is just updating now (I'm getting desperate, obviously) so I am trying everything. No help from Public but this forum is responsive. I will get back to you when the update is finished.

Thanks

What's the make and model and OS version of your phone? My instructions were simply off my phone. There must be an option to choose a network on yours.

@Maltcan wrote:

I don't see that final choice "network operators". Does that mean my sim card is not working?

Thanks

HI @Maltcan   You sim should be good if you have been getting message from PM about roaming.  

You don't see "network operators", what do you see?

Try to take the SIM out from the phone, wait a minute and try again

Or you have another phone? try put the PM SIM in another phone and test

Maltcan

I don't see that final choice "network operators". Does that mean my sim card is not working?

Thanks

Maltcan

HI I've done both without success. Is there anyway to test that the SIM card is OK?

Thanks

@Maltcan 

If the previous suggestions are not helping, maybe try rebooting the phone.  Or network reset of phone.  

HI @Maltcan 

try this to manually connect to Public Mobile :

on iPhone

1. Go to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Network.
  2. By default, Automatic is selected. Turn off the Automatic option.
  3. You will see a list of available carriers below the screen. Select one carrier from the list and test the network speed.

on Android

1. From the front screen, tap Apps.
  2. Choose Settings.
  3. Choose Mobile Networks (if your device is running Android Lollipop, you will need to choose More Networks, then Mobile Networks)
  4. Choose Network Operators.
  5. Choose the Network you would like to connect to.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If you're getting the US texts then you must be connected to something and also that you're possibly close to the border.

If Android then settings, connections, mobile networks, network operators - tap on the option there to let it try to find Public. If automatic is off and you are close to the border then leave it off. If you are further from the border then automatic can be on.

Maltcan

I am close to the border but I don't see any mobile networks on my phone.  Thanks

Maltcan

I don't see any networks in my Mobile networks.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Maltcan   You have to manually select Public Mobile from  the Network Provider in the Setting.  You could be using Automatic and the phone chose the wrong one or you could still have selected other US carrier

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you look for networks and use Public. Are you currently close to the border?

Need Help? Let's chat.