cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My cell phone number is not my local area number

peterzhangon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I used my home phone to call my cell phone number, but it says this is a long distance call.

Can you help to change my cell phone to my local city?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5

As above, all 647 area code phone numbers are coded as belonging to Toronto.  Toronto to Burlington and vice-versa have always been long distance, on prety much any carrier.  It just happens to be that some calling plans include long distance.  Using a Toronto phone number for outgoing calls in Burlington isn't a really a problem as Pubic's plans include provincial or country-wide long distance, but where the problem lies is with incomiing calls.  Anyone who is your home city of Burlington is going to have to pay applicable long distance to call your Toronto cell phone number.

If you don't want it to be like this, you need to perform a phone number change via self-serve. You can change to Burlington, but unfortunately, that will require an brand new phone number.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Just confirm that Toronto numbers are indeed long distance from your home phone line first before you take the trouble to change your number.  

peterzhangon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Burlington ON

647-

Thanks,

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @peterzhangon,

Are you sure that your number indeed is a long distance call from your home phone?  If its a mistake, call the service provider and ask them to fix it. 

If your public mobile number really is from a different region, then you can make the change in selfserve.  Sign into your account here: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

Click on Plans and add-ons and then click on "Change Number"

Now select a new number from your local area.  Double check the area code before switching the number.  

Warning:  you can do one number change per month.  Once you change number, you will not be able to go back to the previous number.  

eazybelle
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Please give more information.

What city are you in and what is the area code of your cell number?

Need Help? Let's chat.