cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Rewards

steveb11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm trying to wrap my head around this new My Rewards adventure. First, a concern. Then a question.

My concern: I'm reading between the lines here because it doesn't seem to be explicitly said by PM. I take it that if you click on the "JOIN PUBLIC POINTS" box, you're automatically switched out of the old rewards system and placed into the new rewards system. I didn't see anything that tells you this is an either/or situation. Is that true? You either do nothing and stay with the old system, or you click the new option and you lose all the old rewards you built up? If that's the case, perhaps it should say that explicitly. I certainly didn't realize that. Luckily, I read someone else's post first or I would have clicked on the new option thinking it was in addition to what I already have.

Now the question and this is a sincere question, not sarcasm: What would be the advantage of switching to the new rewards system? I don't see one, but perhaps I'm missing something.

I've been trying to do the math, based on the new points I would get if I switched versus keeping the old rewards I already have, and I don't see how the new system could possibly be better.

My situation: I'm on the $15 plan, I autopay ($2 savings) and I just got my one-year loyalty reward ($1 saving) so my next bill will be $12 (plus tax obviously). So I'm saving $3 per month. Over the course of the next year, that would be $36 in savings for me. Under the new system, it appears from the wording that I would lose my rewards and start with some new points with 1 point = $1. So to break even with the old system, I'd need 36 points a year. But you only get 10 points toward the anniversary loyalty reward, even though there are 12 months in the year. There's no autopay reward. It's replaced by 5% back on every dollar spent. So $15/month means 0.75 points, which is 75 cents. Right off the bat, that's $1.25/month less than the old autopay reward.

So I don't see how this new system helps at all. Seems to be a big step back, as far as my math suggests.

Am I right? Wrong? Thoughts?

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@steveb11 wrote:

I take it that if you click on the "JOIN PUBLIC POINTS" box, you're automatically switched out of the old rewards system and placed into the new rewards system. I didn't see anything that tells you this is an either/or situation. Is that true?

@steveb11 

I believe the point of no return on the switch here, is, once you select this tick box "agreeing to updating my account and the terms and conditions"  then proceed:

esjliv_0-1643560740190.png

steveb11

@Crissyls 

I didn't actually click the button so I was never switched over to the new system.

Crissyls
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks what I’m getting to from what I’ve read. So, did you try to switch back to the first rewards? And did it work?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah @Meow ! ...what he said. 🙂

steveb11

@Meow 

I'm not, no. But I like the lingo.

And for viewers playing along at home, the answer is: Their lips are moving.

(Disclaimer: The statement above is the answer to a joke and not intended as a personal comment on the character, ethics or morals of any actual lawyers, living or dead.)

I hope you two are not lawyers...

Can you figure out when lawyer is lying?

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't say new customers are forced..

Correct. They are Not forced. Points is Current PM's perk. Take it or leave it. No choice.

steveb11

@Anonymous 

You say potato, I say . . .

But your point is taken. I withdraw the speculation.

Zyl

@steveb11 wrote:

@hTideGnow @0PX9O4 @Meow 

Thanks for responding. I guess the big question is this: If all new subscribers are forced into the new rewards system, how long will it be before all subscribers are migrated into the new system, whether they like it or not?

@steveb11   That is the million-dollar question that nobody wants to know the answer to, like death.  LOL   So just like how we face death, we take it one day at a time and try to live and enjoy the moment.  LOL   

Anonymous
Not applicable

Objection! Speculation.

Who knows.

I wouldn't say new customers are forced. They just are. Like we all were when we signed up and got into the rewards of the day. Now it's this way.

@steveb11 wrote:

@hTideGnow @0PX9O4 @Meow 

Thanks for responding. I guess the big question is this: If all new subscribers are forced into the new rewards system, how long will it be before all subscribers are migrated into the new system, whether they like it or not?

It will be very BAD for PM to force existing customers to Points System.

I guess (hope) we will be grandfathered as some customers still use $10 plan and nobody forced them to switch to $15 plan.

But lets put it this way: enjoy while you can.

steveb11

@hTideGnow @0PX9O4 @Meow 

Zyl

@steveb11 wrote:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this new My Rewards adventure. First, a concern. Then a question.

My concern: I'm reading between the lines here because it doesn't seem to be explicitly said by PM. I take it that if you click on the "JOIN PUBLIC POINTS" box, you're automatically switched out of the old rewards system and placed into the new rewards system. I didn't see anything that tells you this is an either/or situation. Is that true? You either do nothing and stay with the old system, or you click the new option and you lose all the old rewards you built up? If that's the case, perhaps it should say that explicitly. I certainly didn't realize that. Luckily, I read someone else's post first or I would have clicked on the new option thinking it was in addition to what I already have.

Now the question and this is a sincere question, not sarcasm: What would be the advantage of switching to the new rewards system? I don't see one, but perhaps I'm missing something.

I've been trying to do the math, based on the new points I would get if I switched versus keeping the old rewards I already have, and I don't see how the new system could possibly be better.

My situation: I'm on the $15 plan, I autopay ($2 savings) and I just got my one-year loyalty reward ($1 saving) so my next bill will be $12 (plus tax obviously). So I'm saving $3 per month. Over the course of the next year, that would be $36 in savings for me. Under the new system, it appears from the wording that I would lose my rewards and start with some new points with 1 point = $1. So to break even with the old system, I'd need 36 points a year. But you only get 10 points toward the anniversary loyalty reward, even though there are 12 months in the year. There's no autopay reward. It's replaced by 5% back on every dollar spent. So $15/month means 0.75 points, which is 75 cents. Right off the bat, that's $1.25/month less than the old autopay reward.

So I don't see how this new system helps at all. Seems to be a big step back, as far as my math suggests.

Am I right? Wrong? Thoughts?

Thanks.

When you click on "Join Public Points", it does not automatically switch you to the Public Points system.  It will take you to another page of "Join Public Points" with more details about the new points reward system for you to get more familiar with the points system and then if you really want to switch, there is a button that says "Join now" for you to click on to formally switch.  Once you have switched however, you will be on the points system permanently and you won't be able to go back to the current dollar-based reward system.  The procedure can be found here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/get-help/articles/Joining-Public-Points

To answer your question, the way I see it, everything is really the same except for the reward for Autopay.  If your plan cost is $50 and above, you will earn 50 cents higher at least under the new points reward system vs.  the current dollar-based reward system, otherwise you are better off under the current dollar-based system.  That's the only difference that I see aside from getting access to more tangible products that Public Mobile throws in there from time to time for you to redeem and the contest that costs 1 point to participate where you can potentially win large prizes.   

Hope this helps.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @steveb11 

Yes, you have to click the Join button in the new My Reward portal to convert.  It is no going back, once converted, even clicked by accident, you cannot move back.

Doing nothing will have you stay with the current program

It did talked about  you need to join, kind of indirectly :

This means that customers who activated prior to January 25, 2022 will remain on old Public Rewards without any change to the way or amount earned. Don’t worry, these customers can still join Public Points. 

Why join?  I guess this program is more for new activation, they have no choice

For us, yes, most of us are going to stay.  But why join ?  If you are planning to leave PM soon and you have too much reward dollars, then you can join the new one and start using or "wasting" the extra reward dollars before you leave.   They have jackpot or lucky draw now for 1 point to enter.  It sounds like they might have ways to redeem for something else as well in the future 

Again, I believe for most of us, our decision would be .. STAY SAFE

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@steveb11 

I think you're right on the money (forgive the pun). There's little incentive for most of us to switch. Moreover, it remains to be seen how this points system will evolve over time.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@steveb11 wrote:

No, you are not missing anything... 😞

Get that spreadsheet and put your numbers and see if there any benefit for you to switch.

Need Help? Let's chat.