cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving the SIM card

DavidFB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I bought a Samsung S10. It's on the compatible list.

I migrated the working SIM to the new phone, adjusting it from Micro to Nano
The phone is not connecting to the network.

I've rebooted, reset the SIM card, reset the network, tried cleaning the SIM card with an eraser, toggled airplane mode, etc. I did get a notification it had found the SIM card but thats it.

I tried Simon but that went in circles. When I tried to then open a ticket, the login wasn't accepted even though it works fine otherwise.

Suggestions?

23 REPLIES 23

DavidFB

Yes, annoying I pay return shipping, but thats the nature of independent suppliers. I still come out ahead.

Looking at it in the big view, this seems to be a manufacturers issue. The box came sealed and new but the phone sn on the box didn't match the phone and the IMEI came up blacklisted.

I've seen this before with computer components. The maker has a bad batch of product but rather than destroying them, they sell them on back channels expecting them to sell in minor markets. Resellers buy a batch at a discount and get some faulty product - they take the hit instead. Can't say that's the issue here but it's pretty odd this made it to market.

The Amazon reviews are mostly great and there are hundreds over time, so its unlikely to be backloading. There a few scattered ones with major issues.

@DavidFB wrote:

A reseller on Amazon. They first balked at a refund, saying the phone was new, then issued the refund authorization minutes later. I have to pay the shipping back.

With that underway, I ordered a replacement from Public. Even with the return shipping, it's cheaper from Public.

@DavidFB  - that doesn't seem fair that you need to pay the return shipping back.😣

They should be not selling a blacklisted phone; their problem, not yours. 

Are you able to 'take this up' with Amazon customer service?

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DavidFB wrote:

A reseller on Amazon. They first balked at a refund, saying the phone was new, then issued the refund authorization minutes later. I have to pay the shipping back.

With that underway, I ordered a replacement from Public. Even with the return shipping, it's cheaper from Public.

I would have ask them for a return label to be sent in the email and print it to be pasted on the box and send it back. Its normal process for amazon, even if you dont have Prime. Seller already has the tracking number as soon as the pkt is picked up and goes into their system the refund will be issued.

Reviews are fake these days, many times sellers offer to buy stuff and after giving 5 star review with pictures they offered to refund the full price. So always buy with credit card which has the purchase protection and good website for which Amazon is great for issuing refund on returned items.

DavidFB

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BlueB : Fake reviews indeed. Just recently I was looking at apps in the Play store. 5 stars! The whole bars of stars were only 5. The first review was 5. The immediate next review was 1. Why wasn't that in the bars?

Then there's ebay. Did you know sellers can ask eBay to remove negative reviews? Yup. Fraud.

BlueB

@DavidFB 

Glad there's a good returns policy and one thumbs up to Amazon.  I'm not sure if you want to let the seller know too.  I'm guessing either this is a one-time thing (since they have a 5-star rating) or there are fake reviews to get that 5-star rating.  Either way, glad you found out the problem!  🙂

@DavidFB wrote:

Not Public Mobile. A reseller with many 5 star reviews on Amazon. PM now has them back in stock at a better price, so I'll try that.

@DavidFB 

But it is Amazon, you can open a ticket with them for a full refund.. can you?

@DavidFB wrote:

Not Public Mobile. A reseller with many 5 star reviews on Amazon. PM now has them back in stock at a better price, so I'll try that.

@DavidFB  - Make sure to take advantage of the Black Friday $30 credit on the phone:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/phone-section

🙂

EDIT: actually according to the dates, this is over "Purchase a like new phone between November 16-30th, and you’ll receive a $30 bill credit. While quantities last."

Hey, but try it anyway. I would take screen shots of the advertised promo and keep them for your records...maybe you can use them later to show it was still being advertised. 

DavidFB

@DavidFB wrote:

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support. Happily, there's a good returns policy.

@DavidFB  - did you get this from Public Mobile?

@DavidFB wrote:

Oh rats - it is backlisted. This was supposed to be a recommended source.

@DavidFB  oh no! Sorry to hear that.

Any chance for a refund?

DavidFB

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support. Happily, there's a good returns policy.

DavidFB

Oh rats - it is backlisted. This was supposed to be a recommended source.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@DavidFB wrote:

I've rebooted, reset the SIM card, reset the network, tried cleaning the SIM card with an eraser, toggled airplane mode, etc. I did get a notification it had found the SIM card but thats it.

I tried Simon but that went in circles. When I tried to then open a ticket, the login wasn't accepted even though it works fine otherwise.

Suggestions?

@DavidFB  - if this is a 2nd hand phone, check to see if it is unlocked. 

Contact the previous provider(owner) to unlock it for you. You will need your imei number, dial *#06# to get it.

Maybe also check if your phone is blacklisted here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DavidFB wrote:

I plan to buy another SIM retail tomorrow in case the old one is flaky in some way.

The PM SIM was working fine in the old phone.

Perhaps I should try moving it back to see if its still OK. The SIM works fine in the old phone.

@DavidFB 

i suggest you to get a New SIM card is better for you and fast way

from any Retail store or gas station near you and you buy it right away,

Where To Buy A SIM card,

You can purchase a Public Mobile SIM card at a variety of retail locations. Click Here link 

to open our store locator and find the closest retailer to you.

or 

Too easy buy it online or in store visit Here link, or Pickup 1-2 Hours.

How To Change Your SIM Card,

the SIM change functionality has been re-enabled in My Account, now with an additional security step: 2 factor authentication to further protect against SIM card fraud.In order to change the SIM card associated with your account, you must now verify your request through a one-time security code that will be sent via SMS or email.To change your SIM card, please follow the below steps:

1. Log into your My Account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Change SIM Card
  3. Enter your new SIM card number
  4. Select where you would like your 6-digit security verification code to be sent to. You can choose to have the code sent to your email, or via SMS to your phone number. If you do not have access to your phone or cannot receive SMS, please select the email option.
  5. Check your email or phone for your security code, and input the code into the page
  6. Click “Verify Code”

Please note: after 5 failed attempts to verify your security code, your account will be locked, and you will need to have your account unlocked and your SIM card manually updated by an agent by submitting a ticket link here..

1. Once you have verified your code, click “submit” to complete your SIM card change, and you’re all set..

@DavidFB wrote:

I plan to buy another SIM retail tomorrow in case the old one is flaky in some way.

Perhaps I should try moving it back to see if its still OK. The SIM works fine in the old phone.

Try to move it back and see.

If you are going to buy a new SIM tomorrow, have the Mobile guy to use an Active PM/Telus/Koodo SIM to test your new phone as well.

(some places don't sell SIM without activation.. call ahead and check...)

DavidFB

BlueB

@DavidFB 

You'll be in good hands talking with a CS Agent, especially for an account-related issue.  In the meantime, some things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

Try another SIM card in your Samsung S10 to see if it's an issue with the phone.

Also, are you able to try your Public Mobile SIM card in another phone?  If it works, then your SIM card is okay.  If not, it's possible that the SIM card "chip" got damaged in the process of removing/replacing or resizing it - a new SIM card would be required.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DavidFB wrote:

Thanks! Have sent a message.

It's appreciated.

@DavidFB 

your welcome,

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@DavidFB wrote:

Suggestions?

Where did you buy the S10? was it a CPO from from PM?

do you have another active SIM from another provider?  try to use it and see if it works.

and if you put your sim back to another phone, it works? just want to make sure you didn't scratch the SIM and broke it by any chance.

DavidFB

Thanks! Have sent a message.

It's appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DavidFB 

do you try to do backup and Factory Reset,

How to Hard Reset SAMSUNG Galaxy S10 – Factory Reset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DavidFB 

you can try to test your SIM card in another device to you know the issue from SIM card network or your device issue.

you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, and Explain your issue to 
them can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,

• you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • please include in your message,
  • phone number,
  • account 4 digit pin,
  • Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST
    • Note: For public mobile No Support by phone call or Email.. only by CS_Agentprivate message..

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck...

Need Help? Let's chat.