cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mexico use?

socanadian
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can I use my public mobile phone in mexico? If yes what is the cost?

9 REPLIES 9

Yes, countries have what's called an exit code. Mexico is apparently 001. Canada/US is 011. But for cellphones, the + will automatically use the relevant exit code wherever you are.

mickeyaaaa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for clarifying - i had not tried the +1 prefix, just copying the lady who helped me who tried prefix 1, then 01, then 001 and the last one worked. 

That's all great info @mickeyaaaa, thanks for the detials! I guess next time you will know exactly where to go to get your SIM card quick. 🙂 That's great that the card also inlcudes calling back to Canada. Though, people might not recognize the "international" caller ID.

Good point about the 001 prefix - this is also achieved by using "+1" -- If you use this in your phonebook entries, the calls will work from Canada, as well as from any other country in the world because mobile networks treat it as a standard indicator for "whatever the international dial code is for this country" ie "1" for Canada/USA, 001 for mexico, 00 for U.K. etc. So your phonebook entry for +13063370005 will work from any mobile network in the world, including Canada... Also gets around those pesky "long distance charges may apply" when you make a long distance call within Canada with Public Mobile, even when your plan includes Canada-wide calling...

mickeyaaaa

Hi Nezgar, thanks for the advice - which i followed... just to add for readers:
I went to oxxo nearest me and got sim card, but the woman at counter spoke no english, I mistakenly assumed the card included a prepaid plan - nope.  you have to first activate the sim card and buy a plan. Thankfully the store at my resort had a nice lady who sold me the 14 day plan and set my phone up - telcel cust. service only in spanish so no way could I have done this by myself. so she activated it for me and we tested it out - called home no problem. I paid $150 mxn for the telcel card and $
100 mxnfor the 14 day plan  - unlimited internet and calls. so total about $18.65 cad so cheap! You need to find a seller who speaks english well enough so you can explain what you need, and maybe get some help. - the sim card AND a "recharge" (they'll understand that word I believe) / time plan.  27 days was only another 50 pesos or so I think…  I have internet and calling everywhere now. but the whole ordeal took a few hours...

Oh, and also VERY IMPORTANT - YOU HAVE TO DIAL 001 FIRST TO CALL CANADA!!! 

socanadian
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you !

Spuggetabouti1

@socanadian 

WhatsApp is hugely popular in Mexico (and all of Latin America) so your best bet is to buy a local SIM card with data and use WhatsApp to communicate. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile only works in Canada, and with a roaming add-on in the USA. It does not work at all in any other countries. The best workaround is to sign up for/download a VoIP app like TextNow which includes a new Canadian phone number, and forward your Public Mobile like to that number before you leave. Then you can at least still receive calls while on mobile data or WiFi in Mexico.

When you arrive in mexico, purchase a cheap local SIM card & service. A friend who went recently told me they got a SIM with 4.5GB of data for $14 in Canadian dollars for a month when they arrived.

Most banks that required 2FA authentication usually offer a phone call as an option along with the usual SMS, so even though SMS isn't forwarded to TextNow, calls are so most of the time you should still be able to complete those verifications if needed.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@socanadian   sorry, there is no roaming service in Mexico, you have to rely on Local Data prepaid service

and make sure you change your bank/email 2FA to other means (authentication app or email) if you need any of those while you are away

Add:

For local data prepaid choices, you can go to any oxxo stores there to get one

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@socanadian 

There's no roaming in Mexico.

There's only roaming packages available for the USA.

Your better off getting a cheap local sim card and prepaid plan while there.

Need Help? Let's chat.