cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS on ancient flip phone

Stone_Age
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The phone: Samsung SGH-T159 ex-Videotron flip phone.

It's old but it works: calls, voicemail, SMS and even the internet browser despite being way out of date. It has MMS capabilities but so far I was not able to send any pictures. I always get a "Sending failed. No response." message. I just performed a factory reset to start from a clean slate. Still no luck.

My settings are as follows:

Set name: Public Mobile

Access name: sp.mb.com

Auth type: none

Protocol: HTTP

Home URL: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

Proxy Address: blank

Linger Time (Sec.): 300

Advanced >

Static IP: Unchecked

Static DNS: Unchecked

The protocol option gives me a choice of HTTP or WAP. WAP opens a field labeled Gateway. I tried putting 74.49.0.18 inside various fields such as Gateway, Proxy Address and the Address field that becomes highlighted when checking the Static DNS box, to no avail. I have no way to select a specific port so that could very well be my problem. I'm just curious to know if any of you guys maybe have an idea of what is going on here. I'm well aware my phone is a dinosaur and there's a 99% chance that MMS will never work because of that. I mean it still works as a phone, so no big deal but if there's an easy way to activate that feature I'm all ears. Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

Geez....What? Am I not allowed to express my joy to the OP that I  helped solve their issue and how I did so? Youre obsessed with moving posts to the lounge!!

@Stone_Age 

I'm happy to have helped you on your way....the search bar is a very handy tool that is underutilized by fellow members.

@computergeek541 

Acceptable?

Stone_Age
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Bingo @darlicious ! The trick was the proxy adress. Apparently the number you set after the : sets the port. The more you know! Thank you 😄

@darlicious @cellphoneuser1 

Sorry I thought the phone wasn’t compatible.

My bad.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Stone_Age 

This may help from @LaPoutine who figured it out for a samsung SGH-C414.....

Bumping again as I finally figured it out today.

Working MMS configuration for this phone:

Set name: Public Mobile    //(or anything you want)

Auth type: None

Home URL: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

Proxy Address: 74.49.0.18:80

leave rest as default.

This should allow you to send and received MMS and you should be able to browse the internet with this very same profile. Don't forget to change your home page.

See this thread for additionnal info, OP doesn't mention the model number of the phone even though it is the same.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Unable-to-receive-MMS-on-Flip-Phone/t...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BKNS27 

To put it simply data and MMS work on both 3G and 4G LTE networks.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 

Correction, you need data to operate MMS.

Data's needed for MMS but I don't understand your point about frequencies and the phone only being 3g. 3g phones can do MMS. LTE's a network and not needed for data.

@cellphoneuser1 

Correction, you need data to operate MMS.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Stone_Age 

This phone operates on 2G and 3G in band 2 (1900 Mhz) and band 4 (1700 Mhz) frequencies. 

It doesn't seem to support 4G so you wouldn't have data or MMS.

LTE isn't needed for data and MMS. Data is working for Stone_Age.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Stone_Age 

This phone operates on 2G and 3G in band 2 (1900 Mhz) and band 4 (1700 Mhz) frequencies. 

It doesn't seem to support 4G so you wouldn't have data or MMS.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Stone_Age wrote:

The phone: Samsung SGH-T159 ex-Videotron flip phone.

It's old but it works: calls, voicemail, SMS and even the internet browser despite being way out of date. It has MMS capabilities but so far I was not able to send any pictures. I always get a "Sending failed. No response." message. I just performed a factory reset to start from a clean slate. Still no luck.

My settings are as follows:

Set name: Public Mobile

Auth type: none

Home URL: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

Proxy Address: blank

Linger Time (Sec.): 300

Advanced >

Static IP: Unchecked

Static DNS: Unchecked

The protocol option gives me a choice of HTTP or WAP. WAP opens a field labeled Gateway. I tried putting 74.49.0.18 inside various fields such as Gateway, Proxy Address and the Address field that becomes highlighted when checking the Static DNS box, to no avail. I have no way to select a specific port so that could very well be my problem. I'm just curious to know if any of you guys maybe have an idea of what is going on here. I'm well aware my phone is a dinosaur and there's a 99% chance that MMS will never work because of that. I mean it still works as a phone, so no big deal but if there's an easy way to activate that feature I'm all ears. Thanks.

Inside Advanced, do you see any MMSC, MMS proxy, and MMS port settings? 

Need Help? Let's chat.