cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS data is showing as part of my data plan usage. Why? The plan says unlimited picture messages...

Julers
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the $15 plan with unlimited text/picture messages and 250MB data. New to Public. Just did some testing, to see if MMS (Text Messaging Pictures) would use my data plan. I was concerned about this because I have only the smallest amount of data needed, incase of emergency while on the road. It's confirmed, after some testing that the pictures sent through text message (MMS) are to blame for my data usage going up. Through 'My Account' on Public Mobile website, from my home computer, I watched the data usage go up while only sending a couple picture messages. It shows the data usage as part of my 250 MB, and is deducting that from what I have left. Is this plan falsely advertised?

20 REPLIES 20

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

This discussion will go on and on and on

will it still burn on, and on, and on... We didn't start the fire. It was always burning since the world's been turning.

I'm not sure what's to clarify. MMS doesn't use plan data. I also believe that even if there is a small amount of data leaking through and being deducted from the data counter, that it's so small to be of concern to most users.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This discussion will go on and on and on and never end unless Public Mobile clearify this.

Julers

OK, thank you. I'll have to look into getting that all set up in my phone then. Sounds good.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Julers wrote:

Thanks for ALL of your replies folks. Much appreciated 🙂 

Looks like my data usage has reverted back to before I tested out an MMS. Will just keep an eye on that for a few days and see how it goes.

I think that it was actually about 5 MB that I immediately noticed after sending/receiving a few MMS. So perhaps this 5MB buffer hypothesis is correct 🙂

No, I am not using iPhone, nor any other apps other than the plain old native messaging app on an Android phone.

So I'm feeling more optimistic about the MMS not using data, but as others have mentioned here, concerned about my small amount of data getting eaten up by other means sorty of out of my control. It seems that perhaps some data is used just by being turned on, perhaps via backdoor app stuff? If I turn data off, then won't be able to do MMS. How do you insure no data is used simply by the phone/apps itself, and not your own doing?

Thank you.

When there's no buffer active, the mere turning on of cell data will always take _something_. That something might only amount to several 10's of KB.

I have found the buffer to be exactly 5.293MB every time.

I have found that just turning off data doesn't clear the buffer immediately. I seem to think it resets overnight. But it _will_ reset using airplane mode or restarting.

Android has all the settings to choose what uses data. Background or active, wifi or cell etc.

Edit: no self-serve app. Web only. Yes it would use data if available. Otherwise it won't work.

Julers

There doesn't seem to be a Self-Serve app available for PM yet. So does visiting PM website, and using self-serve through the internet on the phone use up data? I know that with other companies it does not use data.

Julers

Thanks for ALL of your replies folks. Much appreciated 🙂 

Looks like my data usage has reverted back to before I tested out an MMS. Will just keep an eye on that for a few days and see how it goes.

I think that it was actually about 5 MB that I immediately noticed after sending/receiving a few MMS. So perhaps this 5MB buffer hypothesis is correct 🙂

No, I am not using iPhone, nor any other apps other than the plain old native messaging app on an Android phone.

So I'm feeling more optimistic about the MMS not using data, but as others have mentioned here, concerned about my small amount of data getting eaten up by other means sorty of out of my control. It seems that perhaps some data is used just by being turned on, perhaps via backdoor app stuff? If I turn data off, then won't be able to do MMS. How do you insure no data is used simply by the phone/apps itself, and not your own doing?

Thank you.

@popping wrote:

@will13am 

I was wondering how PM can separate the MMS data usage from the other data usage.  You are saying thae only the Google Messages app routes data through the MMS proxy server will not be counted as data usage.  Apps, like iMessage or WhatsApp message, will count as data usage.  Correct me if I am wrong. 

Traditional texting apps including google messages routes data through the MMS proxy server.  You can see the credentials for the MMS proxy in the APN settings.  All other messaging apps use data.  The easiest way to test this is to disable mobile data, go on WiFi and send a message using whatever app you want to test.  If the message goes through then it uses data.  If the app complains about mobile data being turned off, then the app is sending MMS through the proxy.  Try that on your A5 pro.  You can turn on mobile data on the alternate SIM and block MMS from working.  Here is a wiki on MMS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_Messaging_Service

As a side note, people really should test drive non SMS/MMS base chat apps.  It is the 21st century way.  SMS/MMS is so restrictive and insecure.  Do you really want your data bytes flying around in the www in plain text?  

@AE_Collector wrote:

I definitely have seen my data total usage go backwards. I've read in here before about MMS showing data consumed then credited back afterwards. I don't know if this credit back would happen almost instantly or may be awhile before that happens?

Yes. You can see the data usage go backwards by simply refreshing the overview page in selfserve immediately after turning cellular data off, or putting the phone in airplane mode.For example, from my own test just now:

Cellular data off at start:
250 MB at 3G speed - 74.369 / 250 MB

Cellular data turned on, refresh selfserve:
 250 MB at 3G speed - 79.662 / 250 MB 

Cellular data turned back off, refresh selfserve:
 250 MB at 3G speed - 74.424 / 250 MB

It seems to add a 5.2ish MB buffer just by having an active cellular data connection.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am 

I was wondering how PM can separate the MMS data usage from the other data usage.  You are saying thae only the Google Messages app routes data through the MMS proxy server will not be counted as data usage.  Apps, like iMessage or WhatsApp message, will count as data usage.  Correct me if I am wrong. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Folks, this is what MMS and data usage looks like in the usage history.  It is unequivocal that MMS is referred to as a data even and does not count in MBytes like actual data usage.  Chat apps other than the messaging app that routes data through the MMS proxy server will count as data usage.  This is a snapshot taken from my account.  Data is referred to as Web in call type and MMS is referred to a data event.  

usage.png

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Julers  If a customer is still able to send an mms even when they have used up all the data allotment verifies that that usage you are seeing is something else (web event).

Also my understanding is that customers with the $10 plan that doesn't include any data are still able to send/receive mms as long as they have data on and the correct apn setting enabled.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Julers wrote:

I have the $15 plan with unlimited text/picture messages and 250MB data. New to Public. Just did some testing, to see if MMS (Text Messaging Pictures) would use my data plan. I was concerned about this because I have only the smallest amount of data needed, incase of emergency while on the road. It's confirmed, after some testing that the pictures sent through text message (MMS) are to blame for my data usage going up. Through 'My Account' on Public Mobile website, from my home computer, I watched the data usage go up while only sending a couple picture messages. It shows the data usage as part of my 250 MB, and is deducting that from what I have left. Is this plan falsely advertised?

As far as I know for PM, MMS do not consume data. Probably, some of your apps does it. Did you turn of your data?

I definitely have seen my data total usage go backwards. I've read in here before about MMS showing data consumed then credited back afterwards. I don't know if this credit back would happen almost instantly or may be awhile before that happens?

AE_Collector

I've seen this a lot over the last 10 years using Telus PAYG... the fact is that enabling mobile data on your pjone enables BOTH MMS data, and Internet data. You can't just enable MMS data without enabling Internet as well. Even if you are connected to Wi-Fi, with data enabled to send an MMS, you will see a miniscule amount of Internet data consumed as well from the very fact it connected. The connection and authentication, and maybe a few pings by the OS to verify it has Internet access accounts for the tiny amount of data consumed each time data is enabled.

Obviously a 1.5 minute video cannot be sent in even 300kb, so it should support that MMS data is not counted.

It was most annoying with Telus PAYG because with no data plan, it would quickly drain the balance at $1 per MB from basically doing nothing. The solution was for them to apply a data block, but then that also disabled MMS.

So I think Public Mobile is the best of both worlds, because MMS continue to work even if your data allotment is fully consumed (I have personally confirmed this), with no risk of extra charges.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

MMS text and picture messaging should not use any data, according to many PM members. Contact a moderator with this issue by clicking ?, bottom right, and follow instructions to submit a ticket. Moderator wait time is within a few hours or a day.

@Julers 

Do you have iPhone? IMessages does use up data. 

PM will track MMS messages, but usually will not count as part of monthly data. 

popping

@Julers 

We know that sending and receiving picture/video MMS need mobile data.

I have a $10 plan without any data.  But I have the free 1GB data add-on from PM.

The following is my usage lines for my data/text/minutes usage.  Yesterday, I sent out an 1.26 minutes video MMS to two friends.  My data usage since mid December is 0.03MB = 30 Bytes data.

• Data & Add-OnsAmount Used
    $0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 1GB Add-on
    0.030  /  1024 MB
    $0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 400min INTL Long Distance (incl CA & US)
    0  /  400 MIN
    50 International Outgoing Texts and Unlimited Incoming Texts
    33  /  50 Unit
    Limited Canada-Wide Talk
    32  /  50 MIN

@Julers  Try turning airplane mode on. Wait 10 min. Turn airplane mode off. Reboot phone. Check your account to see if your data resets.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Julers Do you have an iPhone? Are you using a texting app, rather than the one native to your phone?

What you describe is possible but unlikely.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

popping

@Julers wrote:

Please post a screenshot of your usage history showing the MMS in question with your personal info masked out.

Need Help? Let's chat.