cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low bars in Samsung phone

macsal
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi there - I just ported a number to Public Mobile yesterday.

Noticing my bars (Samsung phone) are toggling between 0-2 bars. It went to 3 bars when I was on a call.

macsal_1-1609462784335.png

I am not in a remote area, and not in a concrete building or anything.

Another Public Mobile (Samsung phone) in the same house has similar levels.

Another provider (Samsung phone) in the same house as 3 bars.

Any ideas where PM's levels would be lower?

17 REPLIES 17

@macsal if you want to investigate further, you can confirm which LTE bands are showing low bars, and then selectively disable them. Most likely they are high bands like B7 or B30.

*#0011# to check current connection

*#2263# to band lock selectively

@macsal sorry.. after effects from this morning 🥳 happy new years!

@macsal 3g can be used for data. LTE can be left off. Do whichever works best for you.

macsal

@Jb456 wrote:

@macsal  You'll need to keep it on LTE/3g/2g at least you know now your actual call signal strength. LTE is for your data. 3g is your calls.

Hi @Jb456 , thanks, I will keep it at this setting. But, now know to change the setting in my Mobile networks if calling quality goes down. I have selected your 2nd response this thread as my solution as this helped with my signal bar strength, but not necessarily needing to change it - THANKS!

Thanks also to @computergeek541 , @HALIMACS (i will keep that tinfoil trick, in my back pocket 😜), @darlicious@gpixel (hey, what's wrong with a little excitement 😂) and @softech for helpful info. and contributing relating to this topic.

Happy New Year - 2021 HERE WE COME!

@macsal  You'll need to keep it on LTE/3g/2g at least you know now your actual call signal strength. LTE is for your data. 3g is your calls.

@macsal LTE rarely sees a full signal indoors. it's always 1-2 bars for me(max 4 bars). for a phone with 5 bars it should be averaging 2-3 bars. 1 is very bad for a 5 bar phone. LTE has nothing to do with voice. even if you're seeing 1 bar, that's only for the LTE connection. your phone is still receiving the 3-4 bars on 3g behind the scenes. you're getting excited for no reason.

@macsal 

It wont make any noticeable difference in your data usage but it will in your experience....as 3G data in subject to overall usage so if there is a lot of activity then your speed can drop very low so you will have issues watcing video, loading pages etc.... your phone is pretty smart it knows better than you do when to switch networks. Only manually choose a network if the other isnt available or for a short period of time to accomplish a specific task.

macsal

@Jb456 wrote:

@macsal  Strange Koodo and Public Mobile are owned by Telus. So all on the same network.

Maybe try manually switching mobile networks? If I'm not mistaken the A20 has.

•  LTE/3g/2g auto connect
  • LTE/3g auto connect
  • 2g only.

Any change if you switch it to LTE/3G or vice Versa?

@computergeek541  got any ideas?

Hi @Jb456 , well I did go to my "Mobile networks" and tested each setting (options in screen shot below).

When I chose 3G/2G (auto connect) my bars went up to 3 out of 4 bars. That is an improvement! 😁

If I keep it on this setting (removing the LTE option) will if affect my data usage at all, do you know?

Screenshot_20201231-233659_Call settings.jpg

softech
Oracle
Oracle

while you see it has low bars.. do you see call dropped? and how's the call quality?

from experience, usually low bars , 2 or 3 , is still ok.. only issue is when NO bar or just 1 bar

@HALIMACS 

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Tin foil.

DSC_8976.JPG

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @macsal 

I, too, have a service on Koodo.   Not like we're in the same area (i live in a major city on the East Coast), but I've noticed that I regularly only have 2-3 bars out of 5 bars on my Samsung device.

I'd only become concerned if it affected your calling ability, at which time I'd pursue other setting alternatives, or raise it with PM.

You could try wrapping some tin-foil around your head before making a call.   Ok, that was out of line and unhelpful - but it could also double as New Year's bling!!!

Otherwise, WELCOME to PM!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't worry about it. Curious that other providers with a similar phone (not identical??) only have an extra bar or so. So seems to me it's the house and the towers nearby. Swap the SIM's all around and you night collect some evidence of interest.

Otherwise, I think Jb456 and computergeek541 have covered things just fine. But who am I and what do I know. 🙂

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

I guess Koodo has VOLTE, Pm does not. Maybe that's the difference.....🤔 I don't know. Others more into that stuff will possibly chime in...sorry.

@macsal  Strange Koodo and Public Mobile are owned by Telus. So all on the same network.

Maybe try manually switching mobile networks? If I'm not mistaken the A20 has.

•  LTE/3g/2g auto connect
  • LTE/3g auto connect
  • 2g only.

Any change if you switch it to LTE/3G or vice Versa?

@computergeek541  got any ideas?

macsal

@Jb456 

@Jb456 wrote:

@macsal  well public mobile data is LTE (throttled to 3g speed. 3mbs) while calling is on the 3g network.

Your phone's while just sitting around not on a call seem to have a week LTE signal. When on a call it jumps to 3 bars since when on a call you're using the 3 g network.

Who was your old provider?

*Koodo

What is the make and model of the Samsung phones?

*Samsung A20s (A207)

*Samsung A21s (SM-A217M)

Take a look at below link and see what towers are near you.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

@macsal wrote:

Hi there - I just ported a number to Public Mobile yesterday.

Noticing my bars (Samsung phone) are toggling between 0-2 bars. It went to 3 bars when I was on a call.

macsal_1-1609462784335.png

I am not in a remote area, and not in a concrete building or anything.

Another Public Mobile (Samsung phone) in the same house has similar levels.

Another provider (Samsung phone) in the same house as 3 bars.

Any ideas where PM's levels would be lower?

This could simply be a matter of your phone being connecting to a higher frequency when the readings are shown as lower. It doesn't necesssarily mean that there's a problem. Your phone will switch over to another band when necessary. As for why your signal meter goes up when you're in a phone call, Public Mobile only handles calls on the HSPA network. The HSPA network is on bands 2 and 5. Some of the LTE bands are at a higher frequency range.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@macsal  well public mobile data is LTE (throttled to 3g speed. 3mbs) while calling is on the 3g network.

Your phone's while just sitting around not on a call seem to have a week LTE signal. When on a call it jumps to 3 bars since when on a call you're using the 3 g network.

Who was your old provider?

What is the make and model of the Samsung phones?

Take a look at below link and see what towers are near you.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Need Help? Let's chat.