cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to change phone providers from FIDO to Public Mobile

annickviau
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am looking to obtain information on how and what I would need to do to change providers.  Website not user friendly to speak with an agent directly.  I have heard good things and I am considering transferring phone providers but need as much as information on the process to do so.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Annick

9 REPLIES 9

@annickviau   I ported in from another carrier last year, in my case it took less than an hour for the number to transfer and I didn't have to change any settings.  We're all here to help if you have any difficulties!

annickviau

Wow!! thank you so much for the detailed message, I am finding it a little overwhelming to tell you the truth lol.

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@annickviau 

Just follow the prompts if you want to sign up as a new customer. You'll get to choose your phone number from the pool or just have one randomly assigned. New customers qualify for some promos that existing customers cannot choose. And don't forget to use a referral code to get $10 credited to your account (it appears after a few days).

If you want to use your existing phone number then first create a new account with a new phone number (as above), then request a Mobile Number Port through Self-Serve or through the app.

A number port takes some time to fully complete (usually 2-3 business days, can take 10 days or longer). During that time, keep using your existing service with your existing provider. At some point, your old account will be closed automatically as part of the porting process - use your old SIM card until it doesn't work, then swap in your already-activated already-working new Public Mobile SIM.

(Search results will probably flood you with worries and complaints and rants from people who lost their numbers because they tried to get everything done on same day or because they initiated the number port from their old providers. This is a warning to "waste" a little money buying yourself breathing room and to follow the instructions at your new provider instead of getting things botched by your old provider's customer retention department, lol.)

You need to have both accounts active during the number port. Yes, this means you have to pay for a little overlap - a week or two - just to be sure your precious phone number comes with you. On the plus side, some providers will give you a pro-rated refund for unused days from your last billing cycle.

Once you join Public Mobile, you'll need to configure your phone with Public Mobile's APN settings to use mobile data and MMS attachments. And Public Mobile's voicemail number. (Many newer phones will do these things for you automagically, but some newer phones and most older phones do not.)

How to contact Public Mobile. (Best method is usually to send a message to Public Mobile Customer Support Agents.)

mnx
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You can do everything online if your phone supports esim.  I signed up last night using that method.  Worked great.  They charge 5$ for an esim which is kind of a rip imo, but it beats going to a store or waiting for one to arrive via mail etc.

annickviau

thank you for the information, that was quite helpful.  When on Amazon, what SIM card am I suppose to be looking for? 

mcdougal

Also, note that Customer Support staff do exist and will help on the forums as needed. And often one can find the answers to one's questions by searching the forums first for others having asked the same.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@annickviau   To switch to Public Mobile you would need to download the Public Mobile app in order to activate.  During activation you can either take a temporary phone number and transfer your number later once everything is up and running to your satisfaction, or try to transfer your existing number during the activation process.  You will need to get Public Mobile sim card from a Telus/Koodo corporate store, or from Amazon (you can get them from Public Mobile but delivery can be very slow indeed) unless you prefer esim and your phone is capable.  Public Mobile is self-serve but there are agents available by private message if help is needed.  Edited to add, do not close your Fido account because it must be active to transfer the number.  It should close once your number is transferred.

mcdougal

One of the ways Public Mobile provides cheaper plans is not having agents to speak with directly. The community message forum is the go-to for help and information. But please ask away here with any questions, the community's pretty helpful!

Need Help? Let's chat.