cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long-term roaming in US

blaveaux
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Howdy,

I'm going to be in the US for an extended period of time (4-8 months) and I was wondering if there were any longer term roaming plans available for this. It looks like the currently available add-on limits roaming use to 10 days (per month?).

It's very important that I keep my current phone number during this time. In the worst case I'd need to sign up with a US carrier temporarily and port over my phone number, if possible. I would like to keep my current plan on hold until I return. I was wondering if this was at all possible?

Thanks for the time,

Bernard

5 REPLIES 5

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Options if you stick with PM are quite limited.

Your optimum options wiill depend on whether you wish to

a) keep your number accessible to receive calls and voicemail, or

b) just keep your number available for your return to Canada.

Which is your preference? 

Whether you wish to retain your current Public Mobile plan is also a consideration.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@blaveaux, you can keep your number in a dormant account for up to 89 days without losing it.  So, you will need to do some kind of top up to preserve the number.  Depending on the plan that is currently in the account, you may want to just do a regular payment on day 89 to keep a legacy plan that is price favorable.  If losing the existing plan is no big deal, then a plan change to the cheapest 30 day option may be the financially sound thing to do.  Plan changes in a dormant account will require moderator intervention.

With respect to cellular service away from home, I don't think any carrier in Canada offers plans that span months of time.  The roaming features are typically for days to a few weeks. It is always best to shop local for best pricing and options. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

i think your best option is to get a oal USA sim, with data.   and also get a fongoi voip number.  fongo nubers are free and you can forward your PM number to it while you are gone.

The other option is to let your plan expire.  an expired plan will not be deleted for 90  days.  and on day 85 add  funds to renew your plan.  this option will not allow not allow you to receive calls on you PM number, but it lets you be absent and still keep your number when you return.

this is a good thread to read https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Extended-Absence/m-p/142735#M...

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@blaveaux, 10 days is the longest plan there is for US Roaming.  If you port out your number I am not sure a US provider could take on that number.  If you want to keep your plan and have it forwarded to your new (US numbered plan) that might be your best option.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.