cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Distance Cell to Cell

BPrior
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So, I was told by someone that if you call internationally cell to cell that there is an enhanced fee.  I, of course, said that makes no sense.  I wondered about this and we did a test call to Spain.  My phone said the duration was about a minute, but when I looked at my usage on Public Mobile, it was about 1.5 minutes.  Could it be a 50% charge to do cell to cell?   I cannot see anything on the PM site about this.  Anyone have the answer?  Thanks.  

9 REPLIES 9

@AE_Collector 

Yes it took a little while to get the timing of the rings=about 7 seconds but to play it safe I try to cut off around 50 seconds in....if I miss it then I'll just keep talking for another 50 seconds or so. At least with other pm customers as we have a laugh about it.

Same on the other end with my mom or my sisters when we get close to the 150 minute mark I will comment that pm has decided we have talked long enough. I will say " I love you!" in case we get cut off as we rarely end the call on our own.....man we can talk! It's probably a good fail safe for me or I might burn thru a whole $5/500min add on in one phone call!🤣🤣🤣

@LurganIeUk 

That was the first thing that crossed my mind with this topic. Confusion with landline versus cell phone long distance rates to some countries.

@darlicious 

Timing of calls from cell phones has always been like that. It starts from about when the “Send” button is pushed rather than how landlines work which is when the called party answers.

AE_Collector

@LurganIeUk 

I did a comparison long distance rate test among all the main providers and pm's long distance rates beat almost every providers long distance rates for my two test countries....China and Ireland. I believe it was only fido's landline rate to Ireland at $0.02 per minute that beat pm but that was with the mandatory monthly long distance plan charge on top.

@BPrior 

If a call does not connect on the destination end the ring time is not metered however if it does connect then ring time is metered meaning the per 1 minute metering cut off is about 53 seconds on your phones timer.  Calls exceeding 53 seconds, 1 min and 53 seconds and so on will be rounded up to the next minute. ie 54 sec=2 min, 1min 54 sec=3 min etc....

Let's say you have a Telus land line and you call to Ireland.

The call to land line in Ireland UK is 7 cents a minute.

The call to a cell phone in Ireland UK is 20 cents a minute. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 12.07.36 PM.png

I would suggest that any one calling overseas LD to verify the cost per minute and you also need to know what kind of number you are calling. 

But as said PM has no extra charges. And a call to Ireland UK on PM is 5 cents a minute no matter what kind of line you call. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 12.12.25 PM.png

So best bet is to call from PM using a LD add on or using a *Telus land line with a LD plan. 

*or another Land Line service. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Also, it does cost carrier more when you make a long distance calls terminated at a cell number. 

Some European countries do have different dialing codes or prefixes for cell phones.   If you go check Long Distance calls cards, they might have different rate for those different prefixes for cell numbers.     

I guess for easy billing, Canadian carriers are not charging different rates for that (but of course, that mean they likely charging the higher rate even for a Long Distances calls terminated at a landline)

To answer your question, there is no different rate for calling cell or landline for long distance.  You are charged by the actual call minutes only, but always rounded up to the next minute.. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@BPrior...excerpt from T's & C's....

How Public Mobile services are charged
How are voice and data usage calculated?
Voice calls
Charges for voice calls are based on the airtime used when you make and receive calls on your mobile phone. Voice airtime is calculated, for both incoming
and outgoing calls, from the time the call is initiated to the time it is disconnected, including the time used to route the call through the network and any
ring time. The airtime for each voice call is rounded up to the nearest minute.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Cell talk minutes are always round up to the next minute.  If  you have called just over 1 min, it will count as 2 minute for the LD charge

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BPrior 

Add-on is for $15

300 International Long Distance Minutes

Included countries: Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France,Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Venezuela...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BPrior 

but at public mobile Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

do you have buy it Add-on !

Need Help? Let's chat.