cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Distance Calling

Noah1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Often I've wondered why it must say "long distance charges may apply" before dialing the number. I have a long distance plan, takes time if you're in hurry😊. That's something that has to be there of course?

6 REPLIES 6

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile uses the same routing network as Koodo and Telus Mobility. Since the long distance switches are shared between them, they have no idea what type of plan is associated with the caller, so the generic "long distance charges MAY apply" is played for everyone...

Just prefix 1. I did this long ago to my phonebook entries so that calls to my home area go through without the message when I am visiting a different city. Back in the 90's and 00's the call just wouldn't go through at all without the 1 prefixed... At least they let the call go through now after the message.

gjong26
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you use Google Contacts then you can update all of your contacts easier. This is why I like Android.  I can go from my desktop, to tablet, to cell and all have all the same info with me.  And if you change phones you wont have to import any contacts.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Noah1  Go into your dialer settings to see if there is a setting that will automatically add +1 you all your calls within Canada.

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Noah1 

It might help if you take the time to add (1) to all your contacts. I did that and it pretty much solved my issue with the message.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Noah1 ,

If you have Canada-Wide Calling just ignore it. The call will go through. Adding a 1 in front of the 10-digit number should avoid that message, if you wish to do so.

Being a pre-paid service, there will never be overages. 🙂

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Have you tried dialing 1 before the number? Instead of just the 10 digits? That usually solves the message .

Need Help? Let's chat.