cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Distance Call to U.S.

PM280750
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I make a single long distance call to the U.S.?

5 REPLIES 5

PM280750
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks, got the add-on.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@PM280750 wrote:

How do I make a single long distance call to the U.S.?

As others have already mentioned here, the base 30-day plan only includes canada-wide calling, and no calling to USA. If you didn't by chance receive any free holiday add-ons that include that, the only option fro Public Mobile is to purchase a "1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes" for $15, which might be a bit overkill if you only need to make 1 call. The upside is the add-on will never expire as long as your account remains active until you do eventually use up the minutes. (Even if that takes years!)

For a single call, I echo @dust2dust 's recommendation to check out the TextNow app - it gives you a secondary Canadian phone number which you can use to call any USA & Canada phone number for free over WiFi or mobile data.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@PM280750 

If you and your party have the Whatsapp, you can make free calls and texting over wifi.

Same if you have an iPhone, you can make FaceTime calls.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Install any voip app like TextNow that also does talk and call for as long as you like as often as you like.

Calling is the same as calling across Canada - 1 -area code -prefix -last 4 digits.

Voip apps need the internet whether by wifi or cell data.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@PM280750 

you need to ensure that your account has the applicable US long distance add-on.

Then you simply call the number by dialling 1 followed by the full ten digits, including the area code.

EDIT:  if you do not have a US long-distance add-on (which would have been offered with the seasonal bonuses offered every December for the past few years), if you only really need to make one call, it may be worth your while to borrow someone’s phone or use a smart device, such as a Google home, which you can call FREE anywhere in Canada or the US with a simple Wi-Fi connection. 

Need Help? Let's chat.