cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving the country but want to keep my phone #

sisley
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does anyone know the best option to switch my plan so that I can keep my phone number but I don't need data or calling? I'll be gone for 4 months overseas. Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Another option @sisley is porting out your number to an VOIP app like TextNow as it's free to do so. The only caveat is that you have to use the app ever few weeks or so to keep your account active. Just use your phone on WiFi and send text messages back to Canada free of charge. You can also call back to Canada free of charge using WiFI. Then when you come back, you can sign up for a NEW account which may have way better plans for new customers, then port the number back to PM free of charge. It's a little bit of work but...  just an opinion.

@Chalupa_Batman , we can’t port our Canadian phone numbers to TextNow! I tried from Lucky Mobile. Here’s what TextNow said “First: You need to have a US number. Sorry, Canada and the rest of the world, we can only port numbers that are currently with US carriers.NOTE: Number porting is only available to users with Data Plans or on Nationwide Talk & Text plans, if you are not currently on one of these plans you will not see the option to bring your number.😔 

As for Fongo, we can only port our phone number to Fongo from qualified Provinces & mine is New Brunswick so it didn’t qualify 😞

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@sisley 

another option...lower your PM plan to the $15 plan and disable Subscribed (Autopay), then just before you go, manually load $30 in to Available Funds.  Your current plan will continue to be in good standing for 60 days, then it'll suspend. As long as you re-up your plan before 90 days in suspension, you'll be good.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@sisley 

there is one thing to keep in mind.

If you’re going to allow the account to go into suspension, when you try to login from out of the country, you may be prompted to receive a one time code SMS to your device, which you will not be able to receive if you are outside Canada and the USA.

In this case, you’ll have to get the code via email.  In order to do that, click “didn’t get the code “ and you will be presented with an option to receive the code via email, which hopefully you can access when away via Wi-Fi, or other means.

Valid point. However I mentioned TextNow which is free. And yes, Fongo does charge.

One day the folks at Telus will get their heads out of the sand and either extend the grace period or offer to hold the number for an extended period no more than 6 months... for a small fee of course. 🙂

@Chalupa_Batman 

while this is an option, there is really no advantage doing that for 4 months. 

Porting to VoIP provider is usually not free. $25 to port into Fongo and port out is only free if over 3 months there (luckily OP is going for 4 months). Staying with PM and take advantage of the 90 days grace period only cost OP $15 and no giving up of his current rewards points:)

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Another option @sisley is porting out your number to an VOIP app like TextNow as it's free to do so. The only caveat is that you have to use the app ever few weeks or so to keep your account active. Just use your phone on WiFi and send text messages back to Canada free of charge. You can also call back to Canada free of charge using WiFI. Then when you come back, you can sign up for a NEW account which may have way better plans for new customers, then port the number back to PM free of charge. It's a little bit of work but...  just an opinion.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sisley 

this is what you need to do to keep alive the account:

PM only allows the account to be suspended for 90 days or your account will be permanently closed and you will loss the number

So, your option is to temporary suspend the account and reactivate for 30 days before the 90 days deadline

Here is what you can do (assuming your Available fund = $0)

1.  First, change plan to $15 plan (to reduce the cost to keep you number)
  2.  Then disable "Subscribed" from Payment page (Payment page, Managed Subscription, toggle off the "Subscribed" there
  3.  On the next renewal date, since pre-authorized payment is disabled, it won't be renewed.   
          Make note of that day 1 of the suspension date
  4.  VERY IMPORTANT.   Come back at around 85th days after the first date of the suspension to make a manual payment to renew the account for 30 days.  You can simply click "Pay Now and Resume Services" button and follow the step to make a manual payment.
    Since, you have changed to $15 plan, so, it will just cost you $15 for that 30 days cycle.  After you make the payment, make sure you see clearly that the account status is changed to ACTIVE.  If not, you will either have to open ticket with PM support or come and seek help here in the Community
    (Don't wait till the 89th or 90th days as My Account could be down for maintenance or payment could be an issue, you want to give yourself enough time to sort it out)
  5.  Make note of that date, again, the account will be active for 30 days only and will be suspended again after the 30 days.  Make note of the date it got suspended again
  6.  As the Autopay toggle "Subscribed" is already toggled off,  it won't renew after that 30 days cycle.

I hope you will be back by then. You just need to change the plan back to the one you want and then reactivate and remember to enable Autopay again (toggle  on "Subscribed")
    If you still not back to Canada by the end of that 90 days, then come back NO LATER than 85th date and repeat from step 4 again

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @sisley 

Best way to do it is to remove your auto payment.  Then change your account to the $15 plan. Have it change for the renewal date. Then when that payment doesn't go through, you will have 90 days to reclaim your account. If that's enough time, great. If not, you can purchase a voucher from Shoppers Drug Mart. Then you'll have to log in before the 90 days is up to place it on your account. Then you'll be active again and when you return you can pick whatever account you want.

Need Help? Let's chat.