cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Public Mobile, but account still has money on it

thejacer87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I just transferred my numbers to another carrier. But the account has some funds still on it. How do I get reimbursed.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

@JL9 wrote:

They used to have an option where you could take unused funds and transfer it to another PM account and either get it from them or a discount on it, etc, but unfortunately that isn't an option anymore 😞

That was never officially an option.  Any balance transfers from one Public Mobile account to another Public Mobile account were one-time exceptions only and requests were handled on a case by case basis.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

They used to have an option where you could take unused funds and transfer it to another PM account and either get it from them or a discount on it, etc, but unfortunately that isn't an option anymore 😞

@thejacer87 wrote:

Umm sorry... I don't feel like the answer is just "too bad". it's called a refund. I put money into an account, and there's no services to use anymore. I should be able to get the money back. either CC refund, or just mail the cheque

I agree with your opinion.

The sad reality is that it's just not the way things actually happen. Not with Public Mobile, not with Telus, not with any other prepaid operator in Canada. You can deny or reverse charges pending on your credit cards but there's little you can do to reclaim money you've already paid into someone else's pockets.

You can always escalate your complaint to CCTS, you can even challenge in court, though the way things are written I doubt they'd rule in your favour. It wouldn't even be a worthwhile effort unless the balance you've deposited into your account is unusually high. I suspect this sort of entrenched bureaucratic apathy is deliberately built into the system, Canadian consumers just cannot access the same "fairness" as the Canadian providers they subscribe to.

@thejacer87 

It's the way it is with pre-paid.   

It's always advisable to either deplete one's credit or wait until a few days prior to the end of a pre-paid cycle to port out to another provider.

It's too bad this question wasn't asked BEFORE you elected to go elsewhere.

@thejacer87 wrote:

Umm sorry... I don't feel like the answer is just "too bad". it's called a refund. I put money into an account, and there's no services to use anymore. I should be able to get the money back. either CC refund, or just mail the cheque

@thejacer87, it maybe not the answer you like but that is the policy and is listed in the ToS.

ShawnC13_0-1651875229541.png

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@thejacer87 wrote:

@thejacer87   sorry, not an answer you like.  Public Mobile is a prepaid provider and they don't provide refund, especially no refund  for early cancellation.  

thejacer87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@thejacer87 

You can't. Once you port out your account is immediately cancelled and you forfeit any funds contained within....there is no pro-rating with prepaid services.

To contact customer support :

Submit a support ticket via Simple--Simon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you prefer or cannot submit a support ticket you may send a private message : Click here 

To pre-verify add in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # & 4 digit account pin #

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Sorry, @thejacer87 

There are no refunds on unused credits when leaving pre-paid mobile providers.

Need Help? Let's chat.