Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining public mobile

FlutterWave
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone

i just had a quick question 

If i run out of data and only have the 30$ data plan how do i purchase more data even WiFi isnt available? Can i just go I the website and purchase or do i need to have WiFi?

19 REPLIES 19

@geopublic Have you personally used what you're recommending? For all those months solely in Canada?

I don't need it which is why I don't have any reason to contact their customer support asking them questions. I am asking you because you're the one recommending this option. 

There's also decent deals with USA providers but when you read their terms and conditions it tells you what you can and can't do. Some say if you're roaming on other networks more than 50% of the time you will be cut off. 

I'd assume other countries have similar rules. Yet on the link you offered there is nothing about terms n conditions. It's very "vague" so to speak. Even the few answers to people's questions.

I do see their sims are through Telcel. I could go start reading their terms and conditions but why waste time trying to dig and search when an avid poster is recommending this option? I'd think they have already done the leg work and knows that it truly works and that I'd have no issues after spending $180 for a year of cheap data.

I did however do a quick google search and found a RFD thread about extended roaming outside of Mexico.

A few regarding Telcel stuck out.

• We did have one instance last summer when the sim/service was blocked due to over use. She called Telcel and they said the service was intended for limited roaming and she would have to visit a Telcel store in Mexico the reactivate the sim.
  • I've been back from Mexico for almost 2 months and I was using my Telcel Amigo Sin Limite sim card all around Canada. It was a smooth and affordable experience until today, when suddenly I couldn't , and still can't register on any network.

Telcel online chat support were useless and I'm still on WiFi only. My Account on Mi Telcel shows that my line is active, valid, and I have 150mb still remaining. I've power cycled, cleaned the SIM , removed the battery, reset the APN , manually tried to connect to all the available networks, but it won't let me register on any of them.
  • Once you've used the foreign sim card abroad for long enough , telcel cuts you off indeed and there's no way to re-activate it from outside mexico because they want you tor egister on the telcel network .

Since your father in law uses them all the time. Constantly burning through 5 gigs of ROAMING data a month for an entire year??

Can you personally say 💯 this will work if everyone pays $180  for the year and never steps foot in Mexico??

Just curious and asking you as you're recommending it🤔

@gblackma wrote:

You can just go to the website and buy it. No need for WiFi. Or if you have an autopay credit card and you know your 4 digit pin. You can use 611 from your phone. Welcome to PM @FlutterWave . Stay safe. 

If someone is out of data and does not have Wi-Fi, the customer would not be able to go to the website using the phone to make the purchase. When data is out, not even venturing to the Public Mobile website works. 

@popping  The OP is on the 1gb data only plan.

@Jb456  Click my link it is all there in black and white regarding data. If you got questions ask them via the online form don't ask me. I don't work for them and I'm not affiliated with them.

That screenshot is for their Mexico only plans.

Red flag deals has also a thread FMI.

@Jb456  Nice catch! Now I have to go edit some posts for giving bad advice....

@geopublic  what's this about?

Screenshot_20200524_000753.jpg

@fdrcamb519  Father-in-law uses them all the time when her goes to Mexico for vacation. They use Telcel in Mexico and have roaming agreements with the Major 3 in Canada so you'll be using Rogers, Bell or Telus in Canada. They are legit.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@geopublic 

Have you tried this, service, know, anything about their reputation. Sounds like a good only, Data plan.

@FlutterWave  the other great thing about Public Mobile is at times they show us appreciation and give everyone free gifts.

For example last Christmas everyone received 1 gig data free and 400 international calling minutes. Such a great gift 🤗

These add-ons remain on your account until all used up. So overtime you can accumulate extra data and calling for free. All thanks to the wonderful team at Public Mobile.

I currently have 2gigs and 800 international calling minutes that have been sitting in my account for almost 2 years lol. One day I'll need them🙂

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@FlutterWave 

Options to get more data:
1. If your current data limit does not meet your 30 days' need, you may change a plan with more data. You can do the plan from self-serve. You get your data back immediately with plan change.
2. If you want to renew the same plan early, you need to create a moderator support ticket using the ? button at the bottom right hand corner of this page. Moderator wait time is up to 2 days. If your next renewal date is up to 2 days away, you may just on data diet for a few days until after renewal.
3. You can buy data add-ons $15 1GB data or $10 200MB data. Expensive option

If you just want to buy 1GB add-on, you can call 611 from your phone to purchase add-on using your autopay credit or debit card.

You can also login to your self-serve account to buy add-on or change plan.

Also keep in mind Shaw Go is free for anyone. 

@geopublic 

Nice find.....this is a good option for members with a dual SIM phone.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@FlutterWave  If you are looking for a data only plan then maybe PM is not the ideal plan for you.

You can get 5GB of LTE data per month that you can use anywhere in Canada, US and Mexico including unlimited calling and texting ( You get a Mexico number) $180 for 12 months, works out to $15 port month.

https://mexicosimcard.ca/products/at-t-mexico?variant=32229636898925

@FlutterWave 

It might be easier just to have 1 GB data add on purchased as emergency use/back up anyways.  The data add on does not expire.  Unused data will roll over to next month.  The pricing of the 1 GB data add on was recently lowered to $15.  

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Good one @gblackma I don't use 611 so I forget that it's a life saver

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you completely use up your data you will have to find internet someplace. 

Don't worry you will be warned I believe at 75% and 90% that you are getting close, Soo you will have chance

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

You can just go to the website and buy it. No need for WiFi. Or if you have an autopay credit card and you know your 4 digit pin. You can use 611 from your phone. Welcome to PM @FlutterWave . Stay safe. 

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

You can purchase data as an add on. It is $15 for 1 GB. Any unused portion gets rolled over until consumed. You can purchase an add on by dialing 611 or through self service.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974

Need Help? Let's chat.